Triac CNC mill (1988) program download problems

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Triac CNC mill (1988) program download problems

Post by bradders » Tue 06 May , 2008 8:47 am

Hi hope you can help I have a Triac CNC mill (1988) its brilliant however cannot get it to save or load programs from a host computer. Can you help.
I have downloaded the triac offline program, made up a cable using the 3 wires from the manual, but cannot get it to communicate. I have set all the settings and the computer sends the data, but where it goes i don't know. The actual manual tells me there is more wires to connect. when trying to send from the machine nothing happens.
PS the machine has a tool changer and was connected to a FMS system prior to my purchase.
Hope you can help.

Jim (Birmingham)

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Tue 06 May , 2008 9:13 am

Jim,

Can you supply the serial No of the Triac

Are you trying to download the program with the HOST PC that controller the FMS system ?

Has it got a Fanuc control ?

jim the fish

Triac

Post by jim the fish » Tue 06 May , 2008 21:29 pm

Hi I take it the serial number is at the back of the machine, I will pull the machine out and get it the weekend. However the machine has the NEE curcuit boards and is the Denford language programming. I was present when the machine was purchased in 1988 and remember James Bond (Denfords James Bond) showing me how it works. The machine is now connected to a standard computer and I have the triac software from your site installed. I'm using the cable connections also loaded from your website, that is pins 7 & 6 on the machines 7pin din connection, with pin 2 as the earth, the computer uses pins 2 & 3 with pin 7 earthed. I have the actual manual that came with the machine and it also tells me I only need these 3 connections. The Triac computer software tell me the program has been sent but it does not seem to go anywhere.

Jim

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Wed 07 May , 2008 6:57 am

Jim,

Its a bit before my time, hopefully Mr Magoo with pick up the post and give you some feed back

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Wed 07 May , 2008 23:32 pm

Hi Jim
I don't get chance to read the forum much these days but stumbled on this one whilst having my morning coffee...
To check the machines serial port do the 'T' test (make sure there isn't a serial cable connected to the machine)...
  • Turn On Machine
  • Press 'Drives On'
  • Press 'T'
The machine shows a 'Test' screen - somewhere near the bottom it shows something like 'Serial Link: O/C'.
Short out pins 6 & 7 on the machines serial port round DIN plug (a paper clip is good for this!). The screen should change to 'Serial Link: S/C'.
If all this is OK the machines serial port is healthy (it is squirting characters out of its Tx port and checking they are coming back in on its Rx port).

I assume your PC has a 25 pin serial port (or you are using a 9 -> 25 converter). Pin 7 is ground on a 25 pin connector but different on a 9 pin connector.

Hope this helps
MrMagoo (aka James Bond)