Triac stops in cycle

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

biggles

Triac stops in cycle

Post by biggles » Sat 01 Mar , 2008 0:57 am

Hi all, I am having an occasional problem with my Triac.It stops about half way through an automatic cycle sometimes.Tonight I was drilling 2m/m holes in a fibre glass plate for a Vacuum table (1000 holes),The machine stopped about half way through with the Z axis down at the end of it's drilling cycle.The spindle kept running and no fault messages are on the screen.It was drilling in the middle of a section already drilled so there was not a problem with axis limits.I had to stop the auto cycle and go into jog to stop the spindle and withdraw the Z axis.The machine is a 92 Triac PC running VR milling Version 5.2 with the Baldor USB card and a Pentium 2 600Mhz PC running XP pro. Really annoying because it took an hour to get to this part of the cycle then quit. It has done the same thing before on a simpler job but on restarting the cycle (auto)it goes to the home position and stops there. upon pressing cycle start again it moves to the first XY position and stops.It's as if it has switched to single block mode I could not get it to restart without shutting everything down and rebooting. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sat 01 Mar , 2008 21:47 pm

Try updating to ver 5.21
& running easy upgrader.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Sun 02 Mar , 2008 23:01 pm

when the program stopped did you try pressing the play button again? If the problem is as you described in the earlier case and the program moves on a block at a time this is a bug that was fixed in the Comms I/O

As Martin says try the easy upgrader. There have been improvements in the handshaking on the I/O.

Also were you running any vacuum extraction? Static could cause the communications to crash as it zaps the coms on the PC.

Just a tip :!:

In the current version of VR milling you are able to to start a program at any line. If you look on the bottom left menu bar you will find the option :D

You could guess the line number before the program halted and continue from there :idea:

biggles

Post by biggles » Mon 03 Mar , 2008 22:24 pm

Thanks for the help. Can you point me in the direction of version 5.21 as the latest version I can find is 5.20 which is the one I am using.I am not at present using vacuum but will be by the weekend hopefully.I can simulate my problem by opening the front guard briefly whilst the machine is running in auto,I thought at first that it may be a dicky switch so I strapped out the connections on the terminal block but it did it again.

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Lone_Ranger » Tue 04 Mar , 2008 20:52 pm

biggles wrote:Thanks for the help. Can you point me in the direction of version 5.21 as the latest version I can find is 5.20 which is the one I am using.I am not at present using vacuum but will be by the weekend hopefully.I can simulate my problem by opening the front guard briefly whilst the machine is running in auto,I thought at first that it may be a dicky switch so I strapped out the connections on the terminal block but it did it again.
When you did your little test of opening the front guard did you get the correct fault/error message on the screen or nothing at all as per the not simulated stoppages??

Regards
Rob

biggles

Post by biggles » Wed 05 Mar , 2008 15:39 pm

If I open and close the guard quickly no fault message appears.But if it is open for a short time the fault message "machine not safe" appears.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Wed 05 Mar , 2008 19:40 pm

Hi,

I think we are still currently using 5.20 must be a typo from Martin :?:

Have you run the easy upgrader software on the 5.2 CD and checked the machine is up to date?

Still sounds like the I/O firmware problem :!: