Mach3 running unmodified Triac!!!

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Matt
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Matt » Thu 15 Nov , 2007 14:55 pm

Congratulations hpdrifter! It all sounds very good indeed.

Have you thought about selling them? I would happily pay good money for a board that goes in my machine and everything plugs into. Maybe find out how many more people here would be interested and do a small (tiny) batch. You could get back some of your development costs!

Anyway, well done!

Roy
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: 1986 Triac modified & running Mach 3

Post by Roy » Thu 15 Nov , 2007 17:38 pm

Good Suggestion Matt, I would be intersted also!

hpdrifter
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by hpdrifter » Thu 15 Nov , 2007 20:04 pm

Don't forget this board piggy backs on a fully working machine and is only suitable as it stands for this application.
It uses the driver boards, power supply, limit switches etc of the existing machine. Part of the objective of this exercise was to be able to revert to the old control system easily. As it stand this can be done in a few minutes.

The problem with producing them commercially is that all baggage of Health & safety, support etc goes with it.

Matt
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Matt » Thu 15 Nov , 2007 23:52 pm

Its the piggy back approach that is so good. I run a completely original machine that I have come to rely on, and so don't want to tear it apart and refit because of the huge down time. But your way would be great as if there are any problems it could be put back to original very quickly.

When I suggested you sell them I didn't really mean "commercially" produce them. Just a few home made boards.

We will understand if you don't want to sell them. How about just producing a good circuit diagram and a list of the exact components you used so we can try ourselves?

sweep
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by sweep » Fri 16 Nov , 2007 22:46 pm

i'll take your advice Hpdrifter and buy that book from Maplins as your explanation of the mosfets means little to me, and whilst i ain't no 'electronics whizz' either, like you, I think it is important to get some basic level of understanding before experimenting. The first circuit board I ever built eas for this project.
Unlike Matt and Roy (Hi guys! Beautiful scale models Matt) I have no intention of making something that will easily swap back to the original control as I cannot see the point. Once you have got Mach3 running and experienced the ease of programming, fluidity of motion, and user-friendly controls you will have no desire to swap back to the original Triac control. I don't know how old your Triacs are but can you upload gcodes directly from dxf drawings with ease? Not only that Mach3 is free!!!
My machine isn't fully running yet (i.e. limits, spindle control etc) but locking a black marker pen in a collet chuck a watching it write my daughter's name in a fancy font from one of Mach3 wizards is enough to convince me that it is pointless going back.
The reason I am/was modifying one step at a time was just in case I came up against a problem that I couldn't, with my limited knowledge, overcome so would have to refit back to original as a last resort.
Once I have sorted the main items (axis, limits, & spindle) I will move the components needed from the old under-machine drawer into a seperate cabinet and make a proper drip tray coolant system.

Oh, by the way Hpdrifter, what value of resistors did you use in the limit switch circuits?

...Richard

hpdrifter
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by hpdrifter » Sun 18 Nov , 2007 11:41 am

Just out of interest what do you think a fair price would be for a kit of components, wiring diagram and some words of wisdom??

sweep
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by sweep » Sun 18 Nov , 2007 12:24 pm

I really like the idea of a co-operative information exchange/forum, but that's probably because I know nowt !

I got an even better idea. Why don't you send me your wiring diagram, i'll put it into my PCB Wizard program which will spew out some Gerber codes, we'll ask a nice gentleman I know to convert these to dxf which then can be uploaded into Mach3, Gcodes can generated and cut into copper plated board for a really top class board. Nice first project and it will solve the question of which came first, the chicken or the egg :wink:

...Richard

sweep
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by sweep » Mon 26 Nov , 2007 11:36 am

Matt wrote:Its the piggy back approach that is so good.

How about just producing a good circuit diagram and a list of the exact components you used so we can try ourselves?
Matt,

I used the diagram which was posted by David Murray on this previous thread:
viewtopic.php?t=452&highlight=interface
After various experiments I use one exactly the same and it works perfectly. All I did was build 3-off of these circuits onto one board and wire them to a 16 pin (I think!) DIP plug. This is then plugged to the ribbon cable from the Digiplan motherboard. You can see my rather untidy circuit on this thread on my post on the 9th August.
The bit that takes some time was working out which of the wires of the ribbon cable controlled which function on the machine but you should be able to figure this out with a multimeter and the Digiplan manual which is also posted on this site.
By the way, and I must appologise to David Murray on this point, I did not need the 2nd ribbon cable shown connecting my board back to the machine proper, and suggested in my earlier postings. I think it was just poor quality soldering that prevented the original working.

...Richard

hpdrifter
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by hpdrifter » Mon 26 Nov , 2007 12:52 pm

Hi

I am now investigating the Charge Pump function after yesterday switching on the machine in a strange order and finding the spindle started and all sorts of strange table movements. Reboots and machine shutdowns appeared to sort it out but it was a bit disconcerting.

sweep
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by sweep » Mon 26 Nov , 2007 13:37 pm

How did you end up converting the 5v PWM signal from the PC to a 0-10voltage that the DC controller could understand?
A bit of advice on this matter would be appreciated.

thanks ...Richard

hpdrifter
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by hpdrifter » Tue 27 Nov , 2007 11:00 am

Richard

If you go to http://www.cncathome.com/vfd.html you will see how it is done. I used a MOSFET instead of a logic gate.

Matt
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Matt » Tue 27 Nov , 2007 16:27 pm

Hi guys I am back, have been ultra busy!

I have thought long and hard about how much I would pay for a circuit diagram, components, settings for mach3 and maybe some email support!

Truth is I don't know. I am a bit worried I have messed it up for all the hobbyist machinist who would just like some free help to convert there machine. I did think there would be more like Roy who would show interest and we could get some sort of co-operative thing going. It would have been nice to finally sort this out for everyone.

Matt

sweep
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by sweep » Tue 27 Nov , 2007 17:41 pm

Hi Matt,

I am happy to share any knowledge I have with you but the tag of 'CNC Wizard' on my profile is a bit misleading. I think it's worked out on how many posts you've made, but all of mine have been questions to the forum! :?

That being said, just ask and i will be happy to share with you what I have picked up.

Best Regards ...Richard

sweep
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by sweep » Tue 27 Nov , 2007 18:06 pm

Matt,

If you are interested, at the moment I am getting some Trident 24way connectors sorted out so I can unplug C01 and C02 from the back of the Triac and make up some cables so I can move my stepper drives and main drive motor controller into a seperste panel and plug my circuit board (viewtopic.php?t=452&highlight=interface)
in remotely. This will also give me better access to all the overtravel microswitches to use for my limits.
If you want I can give you all the part numbers from Farnell's and you can get the stuff online.

...Richard

hpdrifter
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by hpdrifter » Sun 09 Dec , 2007 10:52 am

Hi Again

Been quite busy developing this Mach3 interface board.
Soon to be available on Ebay, probably as a kit.
This particular interface board offers
X, Y & Z step and direction.
O - 10V output.
Homming via X, Y & Z limit switches.
E stop.
Charge pump control.
Although developed for the Triac I beleive this could be used with any NC machine but may require a little tweeking.
Attachments
DenfordBoard.JPG
DenfordBoard.JPG (85.22 KiB) Viewed 19022 times

Matt
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Matt » Sun 09 Dec , 2007 12:15 pm

Looks good Hpdrifter. I am relived to see you are still working on it!

I am not familar with the "Charge pump control"?

Regards

Matt

hpdrifter
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by hpdrifter » Sat 15 Dec , 2007 11:32 am

Hi Matt

What the charge pump does essentially is make sure that the machine does not start etc. when you power up your PC. ie the machine will only power up when Mach3 is running and in control.

Regards

Roy
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: 1986 Triac modified & running Mach 3

Post by Roy » Mon 17 Dec , 2007 23:31 pm

Hi All,

Just got round to reading all the extra posts on this subject. Not had much time latley, New job, and other projects on the go. Hopefully get round to using the Triac again over the xmas break.

Great to see you have been working on the board hpdrifter, and that a kit may be available is great news. I have been working on Haas's latley so being spoilt by a decent control, i will be back to basics on the Triac. Therefore a Mach 3 upgrade might be imminent!

In reply to your earlier post hpdrifter, with regards to cost. Similar to Matt, Not knowing how much work you have put into it it would be dificult to say. But if you are thinking of putting the kit on ebay I assume you already have an idea in mind.

cheers, Roy

funkstar

Post by funkstar » Wed 19 Dec , 2007 0:37 am

Good work hpdrifter, this is a real "value added" thread. I have suspected it to be doable all since I got my Triac, but never got around to look into it. One tends to work around ones problems rather than to solve them..
Anyways, I would be up for a set also if they would came avaliable just to let you know..

P.-

hpdrifter
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by hpdrifter » Sun 30 Dec , 2007 12:14 pm

Hi All

I am just trying to produce batches of PCB's in a cost effective way before going any further. Machining is not an option for batch quantities as the cycle time is too long.

I have had a number of questions/enquiries regarding using it for other CNC machines. On the final version of the board I have terminal block outputs as well as IDC for the Triac.
This means it can be interfaced with more or less any machine giving a cost effective way of using Mach3.
Providing you can determine where you need to input the X,Y,Z (Step& Direction) to your driver boards and have access to the Limit switch wiring etc. then this will work fine. The additional features of an Estop input, 0 to 10V speed control and Charge pump control are also included.

Regards