Clarkson Autolock for Triac

All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

sweep
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Clarkson Autolock for Triac

Post by sweep » Tue 03 Jul , 2007 13:30 pm

I don't know if I should have posted here but we don't have a 'General Engineering' forum.
I have 4 Clarkson Autolock chucks and a load of collets in BT35 for my Triac but am unsure of what is the correct way to operate them, ie install tool and tighten.
Can I use normal straight shank cutters or do I have to use the ones with the screwed ends as I would like to buy tipped tools but I don't think anyone makes them.
I have searched the internet but cannot find any general guidance on the Clarkson so it would be a guess on how to assemble them.
Looking into the bottom of the holder there seems to be a 'centre' for locating the tool.
Any help and guidance would be appreciated, otherwise anyone want to swap for BT35 ER32 etc??

Thanks ...Richard

Roy
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: 1986 Triac modified & running Mach 3

Post by Roy » Tue 03 Jul , 2007 16:43 pm

Richard,
You can only use screwed shank tools with autolock chucks.

The correct method of assembly is to first insert collet into the collet sleeve, then insert sleeve and collet into the chuck itself, screw sleeve down until the faces of chuck and sleeve meet. Now you can screw in cutter until it locates on the centre. Now you can finally tighten the sleeve so the collet grips the cutter.

There must be NO gap between the faces of the sleeve and the chuck.

I used to have some original clarkson assembly instructions around which describe as above, but also with diagram. If i can find them i will paste on here.

Hope this helps
Roy

PS I think Sandvik used to make screwed shank tipped tools, don't know if they still do?

Roy
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: 1986 Triac modified & running Mach 3

Post by Roy » Tue 03 Jul , 2007 17:25 pm

I have even managed to find it :D :D

Here you go, perhaps Admin could put it in the downloads, for others to use? As I know a lot of people struggle with not knowing how to correctly operate the Autolock chuck.

Sorry the Pics are so big :!: , I have limited photo editiing on my work laptop :(
Attachments
autolock1.jpg
autolock1.jpg (128.55 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
autolock2.jpg
autolock2.jpg (95.38 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Tue 03 Jul , 2007 19:27 pm

Well you live & learn! I always leave a small gap and then winch it up with my mole grips :lol:

If somebody has a clarkson spanner.....
Self Catering Lodges in Central France with covered pool & large grounds
www.la-coterie.com

sweep
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by sweep » Fri 06 Jul , 2007 11:57 am

Thanks for the info Roy

...Richard