ATC for StarMill

All info relating to the Denford Starmill CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

sparky

ATC for StarMill

Post by sparky » Mon 29 Dec , 2014 16:15 pm

Hi All
I have had a little play with recently acquired Starmill but unfortunately I can not activate ATC (XYZ axis and spindle all fine).

The software I have is VRMilling and from there I can switch to either Fanuc OM or Fanuc 21i or stay in VR.

I have tried to move carrier/ram in, index the carousel, unclamp the drawbar etc.. by using the M codes necessary.

I have also tried M6T01.

Does anyone have any idea's or list of thing I could check to try and get it working please?

Regards

sparky

Re: ATC for StarMill

Post by sparky » Tue 30 Dec , 2014 6:03 am

Just to elaborate further, the air pressure supply is set to 100 lbs and when the Drawbar solenoid is energised the air cylinder in the head can be heard to operate, but not sufficiently to release the toolholder, it remains firm in the spindle.

Also the Tool carousel moves to the toolchange position when the Carousel solenoid is energised, this function operates smoothly in both directions.

Neither solenoid is energised from a Manual or Program command, they were directly linked to 110v supply for test purpose only.

When XYZ axis are HOMED it seems the table is not in the correct position for a toolchange, the carousel tool receptor is not centred under the spindle, it seems there needs to be a Toolchange Datum set.

Regards

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 30 Dec , 2014 12:01 pm

You need to activate the ATC in Machine Parameters. Disconect from the machine & then go in to Settings, Machine Parameters (password is denny ). Then scroll down to ATC & tick activate.
To release the tool give it a tap with a spanner while the drawbar is active.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Tue 30 Dec , 2014 14:49 pm

I was wondering if things might be a bit 'sticky' after not being used for a period, I know the chuck on my starturn felt like it was lubricated with treacle!
it might be worth giving each of the tool holders a wipe over with a bit of WD40 or silicon lube.

It's all fun getting these things running. I've just had the power supply in my computer for the starturn fail. I'm sure I had a spare.... :) oh well order placed for a new one as there is no where local with one in stock.

Pete

sparky

Post by sparky » Tue 30 Dec , 2014 16:20 pm

Thanks Martin, I am getting somewhere now.

In the machine parameters I was able to change the machine active to a starmill (which wasn't an option when I installed VRMilling) then activate the ATC, I also enabled the M codes to allow me to Clamp/Unclamp drawbar and Carousel in/out.
There was no M codes available for Head up or Head dowm and the M32/M33 (Carousel CW/CCW) do not work and time out.

The holder was sticky, but did come out in the end. Looked as if it had the original manufactures grease on!
Hope you get your PC sorted out Pete.

Off for another play.

Regards

sparky

Post by sparky » Tue 30 Dec , 2014 19:20 pm

Following on from earlier post and getting closer.
By inputting M24 T1 M25 in MDI or Auto the carousel arm moves in, the head moves down and unclamps, the head then moves up and then times out.
Once this time out occurs I need to power everything down and then back up again in the correct sequence.

It's as if the carousel indexing is not operating.

Also, where would you input any table adjustment to centralise the spindle to the carousel toolholder socket?

Regards
Mark

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 30 Dec , 2014 20:44 pm

Check the ATC motor relays are changing state & the fuse is not blown.

The ATC arm has a mechanical stop that you can adjust & the ATC top plate can be moved slightly if you slaken off the screws holding it down & the circular nut.

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Tue 30 Dec , 2014 20:56 pm

when the machine is powered can you rotate the tool carousel by hand or is it firmly locked in position

sparky

Post by sparky » Wed 31 Dec , 2014 7:23 am

Ok Martin will check that...Angel, it is firmly in position and takes a bit of force to move it by hand.

sparky

Post by sparky » Fri 02 Jan , 2015 13:53 pm

Carried out the checks and all seems to be ok. There is defiantly power to the ATC motor.
The only thing I am not too sure about is the ATC sensor.
When this sensor is in contact with the block I get a 12V reading, when I break the contact it drops down to 6V.

All in all I am confident that power wise, all is in order.
To recap it goes through all the ATC motions other than indexing the carousel.

As anyone got an example of a program with ATC? As I have just been entering T2 which seems to take it through all the motions except the indexing.
Also, is there an illustration for the correct entries needed in the Machine Parameter? settings just in case something is not entered or unchecked.

This is so frustrating, as its certain to be something simple!!
Below is my ATC with guard off.
Attachments
S5031425.JPG
S5031425.JPG (440.96 KiB) Viewed 16851 times
S5031427.JPG
S5031427.JPG (421.97 KiB) Viewed 16851 times

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sat 03 Jan , 2015 9:00 am

Hi, Sorry your machine is older than I thought it would be & the ATC will not work with VRMilling version 2 or 5. The only way to get it to work is switch back to Dos software if you still have the original eprom.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Sat 03 Jan , 2015 11:10 am

I have to Sparky, I am gutted for you!!

However going back to what you originally wanted from this machine, if you do have the eprom then I believe running DOS software would let you control it the way you wanted to and you can just download the program from the main denford site.
I know that the PC only had one rs232 port, however I would be more than happy to lend you the USB to RS232 converter I was running my starturn with, I know it worked and I was unsure if the instability I was suffering was down to my lack of knowledge at the time or if it was due to the converter. My move to a PC with 2 RS232 ports, reading more and running DOS box all sort of happened in one go. You would be able to play then and if it ran and was stable we could sort something out.

Best of luck

Pete

andy_con
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Triac Vmc with 6 station ATC
Starmills with ATC

Post by andy_con » Wed 07 Jan , 2015 13:23 pm

i have the exact same starmill and have the same problem.

do an m6 command, XYZ go to required position, atc comes in, z lowers, tool releases, z goes up and then nothing and it times out.

sparky

Post by sparky » Wed 07 Jan , 2015 20:41 pm

Ok Martin, thanks for your help. It is just so annoying, as the only thing which does not happen is the carousel indexing.
I will look to put a switch into the control box which will activate the draw bar for a manual tool change and put M01 optional stops in the programs.

Hi Pete, thanks for the offer but I think I have wasted enough time on the ATC now and must press a head with some jobs I have.
I guess it was a bit of a gamble buying a machine without seeing it powered up and working.

Andy. Guess you share my frustration too.

Now to another problem!!!!
I only have 1 BT35 tool holder. (Better post this in the wanted section).

Regards

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Wed 07 Jan , 2015 20:56 pm

there is another answer, convert it to mach3. I've converted a few of these atc starmills which gives full atc control, and i have bt35 holders for sale.

andy_con
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Triac Vmc with 6 station ATC
Starmills with ATC

Post by andy_con » Wed 07 Jan , 2015 23:41 pm

+1 for a mach3 conversion.

that's what ill be doing to mine when time and money allows.