Orac not working

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

rob

Orac not working

Post by rob » Sun 10 Dec , 2006 19:14 pm

I have purchased an 'Orac' serial No: AC1908B3. (any idea how old?)
Having not operated a CNC lathe before I am looking for all the help I can get. I bought it supposedly working, I was given a demostration by the seller, on screw cutting. The lathe supposedly is working perfectly, he had a problem on screw cutting which someone sorted for him as he had the spindle speed too fast for it.
The problem I am experiencing is the spindle stopping on execution of a programme.
I took the demo programme off page 55 of the manual. It sets the machine up with mm, abs, prog dat then ptp (Page 4) should increase spindle speed to programme speed of 1000 but it doesn't the spindle stops instead. The machine still executes the rest of the programme all slides etc moving correctly.
Any info would be much appreciated.
Rob

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Mon 11 Dec , 2006 9:31 am

Hi

I take it your machine is missing its ID plate? My guess would be about 83 - allthough that may be the date it was ordered and not actually made.

When the spindle stops have you tried presing spindle start or spindle stop then start?

Can you tell us when exactly the spindle stops? I presume you've set tool ofsets and exited from that, then got into a manual jog screen. You then exit that and the machine should move to its program datum. Then you must press spindle start before starting to run the program. That's the way we have always done it on ours.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Dave

rob

Post by rob » Thu 04 Jan , 2007 1:12 am

Dave, Thanks for replying.
Got it working, all programming correct, once reduced spindle speed machine operated OK.
In the manual there is a graph relating to thread cutting which gives correlation between speed, feed and depth of cut, is there such a graph for general turning? e.g. would the spindle not run if the programme was set with too deep a cut or too fast a feed.
Many thanks
Rob

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Thu 04 Jan , 2007 10:56 am

Hi Rob

Glad to hear you got it working - the controllers can be a bit strange at times. I don't know of a specific problem with general turning, I suspect with threading that if the speed is too high then the electronics cannot keep up.

You could try using the 'general' calculations for feed and speed.

Cheers

Dave