Fitting an Emco Compact ATC to my Orac

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

tony millyard
Hardware/Software: Orac lathe with DIYCNC controller running with Mach3.
Wabeco milling machine with CNC4YOU controller running with Mach 3

Fitting an Emco Compact ATC to my Orac

Post by tony millyard » Sun 05 Feb , 2017 21:15 pm

Can anyone point me to a thread detailing how to set up an Auto Tool Changer. I have one off an Emco Compact 5 which is similar to the standard Orac one and I want to fit it to my Orac.
I have a modern control system from DIYCNC which has a couple of relays on the main board which I can switch via Mach3.
I know I will need a 12VDC power supply as I don't want to add this load to my existing power supply.
What I need is some idea as to how to wire it up using the relays to drive it and also some help with code to control the indexing of the ATC.
Thanks in advance.
Tony

triac
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Fitting an Emco Compact ATC to my Orac

Post by triac » Wed 08 Feb , 2017 11:49 am

Hi Tony

If you intend to use the turret in the same form as on Emco machines then you need a 6vDC supply to hold the turret in a working position, and some method to change from 12vDC driving fwd to reverse polarity 6vDC to rev the turret back to the working position stop, this rev voltage is maintained to hold the tool in the working position.
The turret was controlled electronically on Emcos via a simple cct, it did not know which tool was in the working position as there is no feedback from the turret as found on the original Orac turret, so the tool moves were always single tool moves, the turret moving fwd by a timed period and then reversed to the stop, if more than 1 tool position was called for the turret would only move 1 tool position and rev into that point before doing another tool move sequence in the same way.

Have you seen the article on this forum for using a turret with Mach ?

Emgee

tony millyard

Post by tony millyard » Fri 10 Feb , 2017 0:43 am

HI Emcee
Thanks for your reply which is very useful. Do you happen to know the power requirement of the motor so that I get a power supply which is up to the job to drive it.
I haven't seen the thread about using the turret with Mach. If you could point me to that I would be obliged.

My main control board has a couple of relays on it which I was hoping to use to drive the ATC.

Thanks
Tony

tony millyard

Post by tony millyard » Fri 10 Feb , 2017 19:50 pm

Ha - just seen the posting about using ATCs and Mach 3.
Thanks

triac
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by triac » Mon 13 Feb , 2017 17:46 pm

hi Tony

Power requirement is very low, from memory current at the 12v fwd move was less than 1 amp so a 25va 230v primary and 6/12v secondary transformer would be OK even allowing a good safety factor.

Emgee