Axis Drive Circuit Power

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Quearcusalba
Hardware/Software: Orac

Axis Drive Circuit Power

Post by Quearcusalba » Wed 06 Jan , 2016 2:01 am

Greetings,

Let me preface that a special place in hell is reserved for those who store CNC machines in barns.

I am repairing a Orac '84 (based upon component mfg dates of May '84 or earlier) and have power through power supplies, spindle drive, TV monitor, PC 1601 and PC16 90.

I have power coming into the Z and X axis boards, however, the LED's do not light up. I am at a loss as to where they require power from to properly emit signals to the stepper motors.

I have written programs and attempted to run them on the machine, however, if the motors don't move, clearly the program cannot continue.

Please advise.

Thank you

triac
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Axis Drive Circuit Power

Post by triac » Thu 07 Jan , 2016 0:10 am

First remove the cover from the light and check the connection block is not shorted out with swarf,
I had this happen and nothing works then.
When you power up the machine do you have the options screen illuminated ?
If you depress the Emergency Stop do you hear a relay drop out ?
When you reset the stop does the screen show X and Z axis readout ?
If it does have you tried the Manual axis jog buttons ?
If you try and they don't work press and hold the Reset switch under the front panel.
If the cross slide is all the way In or Out the limit switch will be activated, reset button held in allows movement.
If the saddle is very close to the chuck the Z axis limit may be activated, hold reset and try to move away.
Can you Start the spindle motor and increase the speed by the + button ?

Something to try !!!!!!!
Emgee

Quearcusalba
Hardware/Software: Orac

Re: Axis Drive Circuit Power

Post by Quearcusalba » Thu 07 Jan , 2016 5:15 am

Emgee,

When I power up the machine, the main screen is visible and I can cycle through the options.

E-Stop relay functions properly.

X and Y axis provide location readouts, though when I manually turn the Z axis lead screw and move the carriage the machine does not register the changes on the screen. This tells me that it acknowledges its last known location but does not know where it is currently.

Manual axis jog does not work, but, keypad functions (essentially built a new key pad given that all the Function and Data keys lost power.)

Cross slide appears to have travel available to it. I had held in the reset (more like held the two ends of the reset circuit together for several seconds) and no appreciable change.

Carriage is approximately half way in between spindle and tail-stock.

I cannot start the spindle motor (no M03/M05 button option, only 3 function columns) but I confirmed it moves by accident when I bypassed the filter capacitor on the parajust board. I have since properly connected the filter capacitor and manual control not available given lack of M03/M05 buttons.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Side note: Computer Rack A pin 2 has a Red wire coming from the rack but does not have a corresponding wire to any point on the machine. Updated diagrams have this wire linking to ground, though, a Red wire with approximately 5VDC would not seem proper to go to ground.