Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

milton d
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Micromill 2000 #SP 38556 April 1996
ORAC CNC Lathe November 1983

ORAC backlash

Post by milton d » Fri 30 Aug , 2013 15:37 pm

Getting very close to completion on my ORAC/Mach3 retrofit and am very pleased with how well the little fellow is working. Thank you Denford for designing such a nice machine! :D

Question: I've been checking backlash and the Z-axis is very good...almost nil. The X-axis has about .003" though. Where would the most likely place be to look for it or is that a normal amount for such a small ballscrew?

Thanks!
"Accuracy is the combined total of your compensating mistakes."

RNR107
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: TRIAC, ORAC, Mach3

Re: ORAC backlash

Post by RNR107 » Tue 03 Sep , 2013 10:03 am

Hi,
You shouldn't have any back lash on a ballscrew (or at least nothing noticeable)
Best thing to do is to take this ballscrew with the nut of the machine and see if there is any play between the nut and the screw. If there is, it needs replacing (Or left alone and compensate by the sofware Mach3 let you do that)

IMPORTANT: Do NOT completly unscrew the nut! You would end up with loose bearings all over the floor of your workshop![/size]

RNR

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 03 Sep , 2013 19:40 pm

Check that the tab nut is tight.

If you can get a DTI on one end of the ballscrew you can check if it moves when changing direction.

milton d
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Micromill 2000 #SP 38556 April 1996
ORAC CNC Lathe November 1983

Post by milton d » Sun 08 Sep , 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Sorry about the slow response, I forgot my password for a bit.

Good suggestion on the nut Martin; I'll check it out soon as I can get get it apart enough to get a clock on the ballscrew.
"Accuracy is the combined total of your compensating mistakes."