Orac update

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

prisoner

Orac update

Post by prisoner » Wed 19 Nov , 2008 15:50 pm

Hi all, new to the site, new to CNC. I have recently aquired a denford orac, it seems as per original and does work. Although I am trying to get my head around the whole CNC thing, I do feel that the machine is not quite right, especially now the weather is getting colder the vdu screen has developed a roll that lasts for about 30mins and then settles down.
What I would really like to do is update the machine possibly new motors etc so I can use a modern software from a pc.
What would be my best approach? and where would I find the help needed, bearing in mind a lot of the terminology on this site does not mean anything to me, not yet anyhow. ie (breakout boards)........
Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Any help much appreciated.

Ivan

frogeye

Post by frogeye » Fri 21 Nov , 2008 0:02 am

Hi Ivan,

I'm about 90% through a retrofit. The general consensus of opinion is to dump the electronics and keep the spindle and axis motors. MACH3 is a software programme that can be used to control the lathe - it outputs signals via the parallel port to a breakout board. The BB is the electronic interface between lathe and PC. It will allow easier connection of the cables carrying signals to and from MACH3. It can also electrically isolate the PC from those signals, which potentially can carry voltages harmful to your PC! The other major items in the jigsaw are the stepper drivers, and spindle speed controller. The stepper drivers are circuit boards or boxes, 1 for each axis, that take the control signals generated by MACH3, and control the higher voltages and current (typically in the order of 60v DC,2.5 ish amps) needed by the stepper motors. The spindle motor is controller by a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) and can either be manually controlled by a knob, or from MACH3 automatically.
Have a look at www.CNC4PC.com for a selection of Breakout boards, and www.geckodrive.com for stepper drivers. There are a lot of other vendors out there, these sites have a good selection of information to get you started.

If the above still appears as clear as mud, feel free to quiz. :)

Good luck and happy CNC'ing

Frogeye

Calgone
Hardware/Software: Solidworks
HSMXpress
Denford Orac
XYZ Milling Machine
Cubex Duo 3D Printer

Re: Orac update

Post by Calgone » Thu 26 Jun , 2014 13:31 pm

Hi,
How are you getting on with the upgrade?
Only asking as I am looking to Upgrade all of the electronics over to new PC based.
Looked at CNC4PC and there C11 Breakout Board looks good.
Not sure if I need C23 board for the spindle speed control as the C11 board has it built in?

Any ideas on what you are keeping?