Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

All info relating to the Denford NovaTurn CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, bradders, Steve, Mr Magoo

User avatar
Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 9:40 am
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Iron-Man » Tue 01 Mar , 2011 0:47 am

Just purchased an older Novaturn without controller. I plan to convert to servo motors. I have downloaded all data and drawings from the site. But I have not been able to find any drawings with actual dimensions etc. I also would like to know if replacement parts can be purchased. I am interested in the tool changer.

You can see some of my work here; http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_ ... candy.html

and here; http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_sour ... vo-11.html


You might have to register to see the images, but it is free.


Thanks,


Iron-Man

User avatar
Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 1318
Joined: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 16:15 pm
Location: Denford UK

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Steve » Wed 02 Mar , 2011 9:40 am

The Turret for the Novaturn is no longer manufactured in the form that would work with your machine.

Your best bet is to try and find one second hand on an old machine.

User avatar
Denford Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3595
Joined: Fri 10 Feb , 2006 12:40 pm
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.
Location: Sunny Brighouse
Contact:

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 02 Mar , 2011 9:58 am

I'm not sure if we are able to give many detailed drawings away, but from the assembly drawings here, which ones are you interested in ?
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3110

User avatar
Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 9:40 am
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Iron-Man » Thu 03 Mar , 2011 0:10 am

Steve wrote:The Turret for the Novaturn is no longer manufactured in the form that would work with your machine.

Your best bet is to try and find one second hand on an old machine.
I will try to find a older turret or modify a newer model.

Thanks,

Iron-Man

User avatar
Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 9:40 am
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Iron-Man » Thu 03 Mar , 2011 0:44 am

Denford Admin wrote:I'm not sure if we are able to give many detailed drawings away, but from the assembly drawings here, which ones are you interested in ?
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3110
Admin

I am looking for any additional information about these drawings; TP121, ST6/700 and ST6/500.
What I really need is a replacement part list that identifies / names the parts in the assembly drawings. Do you have any additional information on the stepper motors ? I know that they are 200 steps/revolution. I plan on using Brushless or AC servo motors in my modification. I am also missing parts BI 00835B and BI 01218D from drawing ST6/700. Do you by chance have any of the older indexing toolposts ? The bed on my lathe is flat. If not, what would a new indexing toolpost cost ?

Thanks,

Iron-Man

User avatar
Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 1318
Joined: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 16:15 pm
Location: Denford UK

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Steve » Thu 03 Mar , 2011 9:46 am

The steppers are 3A Bipolar wired in Series so they become 2 A.

We have used a few different manufacturers but on the Nova machines they would have been Sanyo Denki (if the body is round) or MAE if the body is square.

The first part number BI00835B is not on our system so could you check the number again? It may be that it has not been used for several years and is obsolete. Can you tell me what it is?

BI01218D is a handwheel. Again we do not stock this but it is a 70325 Elesa handwheel.

http://www.elesa.com/scheda_ca_2_7691_1_5.aspx

We no longer manufacture the older toolpost and since we moved the factory in December we have very little obsolete stock left.

The toolpost is difficult to sort out as to manufacture the parts as one offs would be very expensive.

You would also need the electronic circuit board inside the turret and in the back of the machine. It would be cheaper to buy a second hand machine with a turret than to have or build a new turret.

User avatar
Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 1318
Joined: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 16:15 pm
Location: Denford UK

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Steve » Thu 03 Mar , 2011 9:50 am

The NovaTurn was replaced by the Turn 270PRO which has a larger chuck and as a result the Turret has a larger disc plate. The control of the turret is simpler in that it uses a stepper motor to index. Position is set by homing to a marker switch then counting pulses as the turret revolves.

The new turret could not be run from the Novaturn software as the drive locgic is not supported in the Mint.

Also the centre height of the turret is different.

User avatar
Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 9:40 am
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Iron-Man » Thu 03 Mar , 2011 15:03 pm

Steve wrote:The steppers are 3A Bipolar wired in Series so they become 2 A.

We have used a few different manufacturers but on the Nova machines they would have been Sanyo Denki (if the body is round) or MAE if the body is square.

The first part number BI00835B is not on our system so could you check the number again? It may be that it has not been used for several years and is obsolete. Can you tell me what it is?

BI01218D is a handwheel. Again we do not stock this but it is a 70325 Elesa handwheel.

http://www.elesa.com/scheda_ca_2_7691_1_5.aspx

We no longer manufacture the older toolpost and since we moved the factory in December we have very little obsolete stock left.

The toolpost is difficult to sort out as to manufacture the parts as one offs would be very expensive.

You would also need the electronic circuit board inside the turret and in the back of the machine. It would be cheaper to buy a second hand machine with a turret than to have or build a new turret.
Steve

Thanks for the information. Part number BI00835B is the NO.2MT live center. If I can find a older turret it would be no problem for me to design a indexer circuit.
I will be using EMC2 as control software. Also the machine I purchased is without the control unit. I only have the lathe. I will be designing everything from scratch.

Thanks,

Iron-Man

User avatar
Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 9:40 am
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Iron-Man » Thu 03 Mar , 2011 15:30 pm

Steve wrote:The NovaTurn was replaced by the Turn 270PRO which has a larger chuck and as a result the Turret has a larger disc plate. The control of the turret is simpler in that it uses a stepper motor to index. Position is set by homing to a marker switch then counting pulses as the turret revolves.

The new turret could not be run from the Novaturn software as the drive locgic is not supported in the Mint.

Also the centre height of the turret is different.

I only have the lathe, no control box. I am building this from scratch.
DSC00196.JPG
Novaturn
DSC00196.JPG (46.85 KiB) Viewed 10842 times
Also, who makes the interface connector ?
DSC00199.JPG
Interface
DSC00199.JPG (56.46 KiB) Viewed 10842 times

Thanks,

Iron-Man

User avatar
Denford Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3595
Joined: Fri 10 Feb , 2006 12:40 pm
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.
Location: Sunny Brighouse
Contact:

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 03 Mar , 2011 17:28 pm

Isn't it a Harting ?
http://www.harting.co.uk/

User avatar
Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 9:40 am
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Iron-Man » Fri 04 Mar , 2011 1:00 am

Denford Admin wrote:Isn't it a Harting ?
http://www.harting.co.uk/
I believe that I have located the correct 42 pin connector from the link above, thanks.

I also have one other question. Did the Novaturn use forward and reverse direction on the spindle motor ?


Thanks,


Iron-Man

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue 14 Nov , 2006 12:12 pm
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3
Location: Quatroland

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by angel-tech » Fri 04 Mar , 2011 1:18 am

if it's the same setup as the starturn, they only go forward.

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue 14 Nov , 2006 12:12 pm
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3
Location: Quatroland

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by angel-tech » Fri 04 Mar , 2011 1:22 am

I have a novaturn here if you need any help with the connections.

User avatar
Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 9:40 am
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Iron-Man » Fri 04 Mar , 2011 1:36 am

angel-tech wrote:I have a novaturn here if you need any help with the connections.
angel-tech

Do you have the tool turret ? If yes, some pictures would be great. I believe that if a system used the auto tool turret, then it would need to run the spindle in reverse. Some of the pictures that I have seen show the turret above the billet, whereas the manual turret is below.

Thanks,

Iron-Man

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue 14 Nov , 2006 12:12 pm
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3
Location: Quatroland

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by angel-tech » Fri 04 Mar , 2011 2:07 am

The turret is above centre and holds the tools upside down, so the spindle turns in an anti-clockwise direction when you look at it, eg. forward. There should be pics in the Machines section of this forum.

User avatar
Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 9:40 am
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Iron-Man » Mon 07 Mar , 2011 14:27 pm

Denford Admin wrote:I'm not sure if we are able to give many detailed drawings away, but from the assembly drawings here, which ones are you interested in ?
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3110

Dear Denford Admin

Is it possible to get some basic dimensions of the auto tool turret ?, drawing no TP121.
It would really help me. I am going to build a new one from scratch. If not, please just let me know.


Thanks,

Iron-Man

User avatar
Denford Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3595
Joined: Fri 10 Feb , 2006 12:40 pm
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.
Location: Sunny Brighouse
Contact:

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 07 Mar , 2011 15:24 pm

Hopefully this may help you while I determine what we have in the way of spares and how much info we can give away (if any):
TP120/10 is 70mm square by 6mm thick
TP121/1 is 100.5 long by 70mm square
TP121/2 is 120mm diam. and overall 20.00/20.05 deep (including 1mm boss at back)
most dimensions are pretty much in whole number mm's and angles are too (eg, the flats from the top of the disc are 10 degrees round from top dead centre)

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue 14 Nov , 2006 12:12 pm
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3
Location: Quatroland

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by angel-tech » Mon 07 Mar , 2011 16:35 pm

I have one of these turrets in bits for repair, i'm just about to remove the main mechanism so if i can help with some sizes give me a shout.

User avatar
Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 9:40 am
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Iron-Man » Mon 07 Mar , 2011 22:02 pm

Denford Admin wrote:Hopefully this may help you while I determine what we have in the way of spares and how much info we can give away (if any):
TP120/10 is 70mm square by 6mm thick
TP121/1 is 100.5 long by 70mm square
TP121/2 is 120mm diam. and overall 20.00/20.05 deep (including 1mm boss at back)
most dimensions are pretty much in whole number mm's and angles are too (eg, the flats from the top of the disc are 10 degrees round from top dead centre)
Thanks, Denford Admin

Sorry I missed this.

Thanks again,

Iron-Man

User avatar
Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon 28 Feb , 2011 9:40 am
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Re: Novaturn Dimensioned Drawings

Post by Iron-Man » Mon 07 Mar , 2011 22:04 pm

angel-tech wrote:I have one of these turrets in bits for repair, i'm just about to remove the main mechanism so if i can help with some sizes give me a shout.
angel-tech

Can you post any pictures? Yes I would like to know the overall dimensions and diameters of any shafts or bearings.
The internal mechanism seems very simple, any photos would be of great help.

Thanks,

Iron-Man

Post Reply