Novaturn head-stock area overheating

All info relating to the Denford NovaTurn CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Kholden

Novaturn head-stock area overheating

Post by Kholden » Fri 07 Apr , 2006 15:27 pm

Description of problem:

I am not sure this is even an issue, but an observation. I wanted to make sure I was not causing future issues.

I purchased the lathe essentially new from an Ebay seller. It even had the original packing and cosmoline protectant at the time of delivery. I purchased the VR software and controller chip upgrade from Denford USA.

During high speed operation turning a piece of 1.25’’ 6000 series aluminium at a constant surface speed of 200fpm. This equates to a RPM of 2000-3500 I have notice that the head-stock area. That is more specifically the green casting that houses the spindle bearings and sits between the chuck and the drive belt becomes quite hot. I would say about 140 or 150 degrees. The rest of the lathe is cool to the touch including the DC drive motor.

The reason it concerns me is that heat is caused through friction as we both know and if the bearings are turning smoothly almost no heat should be produced (at least in my mind, I am often wrong) The lathe runs smoothly with no vibration or odd noise. I wanted to have your opinion as to this being normal or is there a maintenance procedure for lubricating the headstock area?

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Sun 09 Apr , 2006 13:50 pm

The spindle bearings are preloaded so there will be some heat generated. I think this is normal. There is normally no maintanance required by the spindle bearings. If you have a problem I would have expected it to sieze.