All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Clive
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Novamill/Mach3

Novamill Y-Drive slips

Post by Clive » Fri 06 Mar , 2015 10:54 am

My Novamill sits in a cold garage, as does the operator when he has to set it going. :(

This winter I have discovered that if I boot up the machine, on a cold and frosty morning, and use fast traverse straight away then something makes a nasty noise and the Y-axis loses its calibration.

I have taken to moving it to a known point using G01, at a sedate feed rate, and then starting a warm-up programme.

The programme runs for an hour and after this it is fine.

The ballscrews and slides are kept oiled.

Is this normal or a sign of a more serious issue?
Regards

Clive

It is perfectly possible for a man to be a fool but not to know it. Unless he is married!

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Novamill Y-Drive slips

Post by Steve » Fri 06 Mar , 2015 11:54 am

It may just be the grease and oil stiffening up or the slides being slightly tight.

I would clean down the slideway and maybe try a thinner oil. The noise would just be the stepper motor stalling so not to worry about.

Clive
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Clive » Fri 06 Mar , 2015 12:01 pm

Ah, so the stepper motor is stalling but the system still counts the steps and thus it loses calibration?

Ta
Regards

Clive

It is perfectly possible for a man to be a fool but not to know it. Unless he is married!

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 06 Mar , 2015 12:43 pm

Exactly, The steps are sent out but if the motor stalls it thinks it has made the move so continues out of position.

If you turn the feed override down to say 50% you should be able to use the machine while it warms up.

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Fri 06 Mar , 2015 16:02 pm

has to be a stall, make sure the machine is well oiled.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 06 Mar , 2015 17:25 pm

It may be worth removing the Y axis gib strip & giving it a quick clean & light coating of oil. They tend to have a sticky coating on after a few years. You should be able to see the adjustment screw hiding behind the front bellow on the right hand side. If you leave the stop in at the back it should fit straight back in.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Fri 06 Mar , 2015 21:01 pm

I just have to say I love this site!

Clive
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Clive » Sat 07 Mar , 2015 23:49 pm

I drowned it in oil earlier in the week but I shall investigate the jib strip as Martin suggests. Trouble is that the machine is kept very busy so maintenance is difficult to fit in. I retired in August 2013 and since then I have spent my time making go-faster goodies for radio control cars. Never been happier, so I shall have to make sure that the machine stays healthy!
See Here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hesketh- ... 2353145927

BTW The Y-Drive is much noisier than the X-Drive. Is that a symptom of the same thing or just normal?
Regards

Clive

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 1:52 am

could be a sign of the ballscrew on it's way out.

What scale and class do you make parts for.?

Clive
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Clive » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 12:55 pm

angel-tech wrote:could be a sign of the ballscrew on it's way out.
Oh dear! :(
As you know I have been looking at getting a second machine but there are certain things stopping that from happening at the minute.
angel-tech wrote: What scale and class do you make parts for.?
I make parts for 1/10th scale off road buggies at the minute and primarily for one manufacturer but I did make one item for a bloke in USA that was 1/8th scale.

I'm about 90% export. Don't know what the problem is in the UK; they spend a fortune on paint jobs but nowt on car development!
Regards

Clive

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 17:07 pm

i've made quite a few upgrade parts for the schumacher cougar sv2, and i'm in the middle of a completely new car.

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Sun 08 Mar , 2015 17:12 pm

ballscrews can be rebuilt, it's not that expensive.

Clive
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Clive » Wed 07 Oct , 2015 22:51 pm

I thought that I would give an update.

The Y-drive is still limping along and I have now changed the brushes on the spindle motor. It appeared that when I used the spindle at its max speed of 5,000rpm, the drives were picking up extra steps from somewhere.

I found that by limiting the spindle speed to 4,000 rpm the problem went away and I have used it in this fashion for a few months. But the problem came back. The new brushes seem to have cured the problem, although I haven't been brave enough to try it out at 5,000 rpm yet.

Changing the brushes is a pain of a job. The back one is easy enough but the front one is a challenge. When you remove the front cover that travels up and down with the Z-Drive, between the guides, the front brush is facing you. The trouble is that you have to have to fiddle it in and out past the Z ball-screw, which is smack bang in the way! When it comes to refitting the screwed plug that secures the brush assembly in place, I found that a small lump of Blue-Tack on the end of the screwdriver works wonders.

Another way that I have found of stalling the Y-Drive is to leave the machine doing a long job. All the chips build up between the table and the column and if you have shifted enough metal then there comes a point where the table can no longer go all the way back! That one made me scratch my head a bit as it appeared as a sudden error in position of about 2.5mm! I need to figure out some way of stopping the chips from getting down there as I don't want to have to faff about with a vacuum cleaner whilst the thing is in mid-programme.
Regards

Clive

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 08 Oct , 2015 16:16 pm

Brushes, Novamill?

You develop a knack of working round the ball screw after you have changed as many as I have. I think it would take me 30 seconds now to get that one in but much longer the first time even allowing for dropping the cap inside & having to find it.

Clive
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Clive » Thu 08 Oct , 2015 22:15 pm

Martin wrote: ....................... but much longer the first time even allowing for dropping the cap inside & having to find it.

LOL

The little rascal found a new place to hide every time!
Regards

Clive

Clive
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Clive » Thu 28 Jan , 2016 19:48 pm

Let's talk ball-screws! :D

I have continued to use the machine, taking care to keep everything well oiled. The jib strips are as tight as they can be without stalling the drives.

But I have a lot of backlash on the x-axis. The machine is converted to Mach3 and I have been experimenting with the backlash compensation feature today. On the x-axis I have set the backlash at 0.12mm and this seems to do the trick, and 0.04mm on the y-axis.

I can limp along like this but I feel that the x-axis ball-screw needs to be replaced or refurbished in some way.

The question is, where can I lay my hands on one and how easy is it to fit? Also, is this going to louse up my home datum switch and lose the datum on all my manufacturing jigs? :(

This is my latest project and I have noticed that round things are not round any more and drillings are not necessarily in the right place! If another one is ordered I'm not going to be able to start it unless I can cure this problem.
Attachments
Dino4 002a.jpg
Dino4 002a.jpg (458.95 KiB) Viewed 40682 times
Regards

Clive

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 29 Jan , 2016 13:48 pm

The Ball screws for the NovaMill are still available but Denford do not hold stock.
X Axis RM1/0403A £270
Y Axis RM1/202A £255
Z Axis RM1/302 £390

Will take 6 to 8 weeks to deliver and yes the Datums would have to be reset.

Have you checked the bearings at the end of the screw or are you sure the Ball Nut is the problem? try putting a clock on the end of the screw and see if there is any float from one direction to the other.

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Sat 30 Jan , 2016 12:12 pm

i would check the angular contact bearings on the x axis before attempting any work on the ballscrew.

Clive
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Clive » Sat 30 Jan , 2016 15:59 pm

angel-tech wrote:i would check the angular contact bearings on the x axis before attempting any work on the ballscrew.

Hi Tom,

I'm sure that I posted yesterday to thank Steve for his information and to say that at those prices I really did hope that it was the bearings. But it seems to have been lost!

I'm just in the process of trying to measure where the backlash is coming from.

EDIT
I would say that about half of the backlash (0.05mm) is coming from the angular contact bearings and the other half from the jib strip clearance and ballscrew combined.
Regards

Clive

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Sat 30 Jan , 2016 20:22 pm

Hi. You did post a reply but on the wrong thread. No problem.