Novamill - maximum spindle speed?

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: My Novamill, bought in Nov 11 without electronics, is now up and running under Mach3 with a home-build control box. I'm very pleased with the machine, only project so far is correcting a cheap small machine vice originally bought for a vertical slide to use on the machine - not a right-angle in it when bought!

Novamill - maximum spindle speed?

Post by JohnHaine » Tue 17 Jan , 2012 11:26 am

In the two machine manuals that I have, there is no mention of the maximum spindle speed! Does anyone have this information please?

Thanks, John.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Novamill - maximum spindle speed?

Post by Steve » Tue 17 Jan , 2012 14:15 pm

I believe it is 5000RPM (that is what is set in the VR Milling 5 Software.

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: My Novamill, bought in Nov 11 without electronics, is now up and running under Mach3 with a home-build control box. I'm very pleased with the machine, only project so far is correcting a cheap small machine vice originally bought for a vertical slide to use on the machine - not a right-angle in it when bought!

Post by JohnHaine » Wed 18 Jan , 2012 10:47 am

Thanks Steve. I have a feeling that may be the maximum motor speed, but not sure what the pulley ratio is. When I wind mine up to maximum speed it doesn't "feel" like it's running at 5000, but I don't have a tacho to check it (yet - another project!).

John.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 18 Jan , 2012 12:06 pm

That should be running at 5000 on the spindle, not the motor

flyingmike
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by flyingmike » Fri 24 Feb , 2012 10:14 am

I measured my max spindle speed at ~5000rpm. I think the motor and spindle pulleys are 1:1 if I remember correctly.

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Fri 24 Feb , 2012 13:49 pm

5000 is the norm.

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by JohnHaine » Fri 24 Feb , 2012 17:22 pm

OK, thanks everyone, 5000 seems to be the number! I have now measured mine (approximately) and discovered initially it was limited to 3000 but this turned out to be due to a setting of the output voltage pot in my KBWM240 motor controller which was limiting the voltahe to ~100v. Tweaked it up to 180 v (rated output) and my approximate rpm measurement went up to 4800 which is more like it!

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by JohnHaine » Fri 27 Jan , 2017 10:15 am

I just wanted to resurrect this thread. I'm happily using my Novamill for 4 years odd now, but finding that the maximum spindle speed is a limitation. I'm usually cutting aluminium, sometimes brass, running the spindle flat out. I did a nameplate engraving job over Christmas using a 1mm cutter running at 5000 rpm, and had to limit the feed rate to avoid breaking the cutter, so the job tool about 4 hours for a 30 x 90 mm plate! That was 8 hours total machine minding time...

Really I'd like to at least double the maximum speed, which probably involves a new motor,but I'm wondering what the maximum speed rating of the bearings is as well. Please: (a) could anyone say what the bearing spec is; and (b) does anyomne have any suggestions for motor type? I'm not even sure how large the standard Baldor motor is as I can't find a type number that mateches their catalogue.

Thanks in anticipation!

John.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 27 Jan , 2017 10:33 am

The bearings fitted will be the limitation on the speed. Without re engineering the head and fitting a matched pair of bearings I dont think you will go any faster.

When engraving I would use say a 2mm ball end cutter and only go 0.1mm deep. This gives a nice finish with a stronger tool and you could probably get away with 600mm / Min in brass.

As you only cut 0.1 deep the line thickness is not too thick. This relies on the work piece being flat.

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by JohnHaine » Fri 27 Jan , 2017 12:09 pm

Hmm... Well I was quite happily running a 1 mm endmill at 5000 rpm and taking 0.5mm cut in brass at a maximum feed rate of ~80 mm/min. I didn't break any cutters in 8 hours odd running. I needed to clear out 1.5 mm of material, and needed a 1mm cutter for the required detail. If I took 0.1mm cuts it would extend the cutting time by 5 except that I could increase the feed rate by say the same factor. But as the tool is happily cutting 0.5 mm out and the recommended speed is at least 10,000 rpm, I'd prefer to increase the speed, though as you say I'd maybe need to look at new bearings - hence my question.

TomJennings
Hardware/Software: Novamill2, no software yet

Post by TomJennings » Mon 13 Sep , 2021 12:28 pm

Hi,
I replaced the original Sprint Electric 400 card with a new Sprint Electric 340i unit. it has a speed x2 switch.
My spindle can now run quite happily at 12000 rpm for 1/2 an Hour without getting even hot.
I cut P C Boards with a 0.2mm engraving cutter at this speed for 1/2 an hour or more quite often.
Perhaps I'm lucky!

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by JohnHaine » Mon 13 Sep , 2021 14:24 pm

Tom, that's really interesting! That must mean that the drive is doubling the drive voltage at its output - I assume this is on a 230 V mains supply? I think if I could run at double speed it would meet most of my needs.