Spindle bearing access

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

njlwilliamson

Spindle bearing access

Post by njlwilliamson » Sun 19 Feb , 2012 14:33 pm

Does anyone know how to access the spindle bearings? I think they're fine but I've run my Novamill for about a year and I'd like to check them over. I've tried taking the cover off the head but it wouldn't budge. Is it one of those things where you have to use a lot of persuasion?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Spindle bearing access

Post by Martin » Sun 19 Feb , 2012 21:24 pm

Take a look at these. The Novamill head is similar to the Starmiil.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3628

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3632

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: My Novamill, bought in Nov 11 without electronics, is now up and running under Mach3 with a home-build control box. I'm very pleased with the machine, only project so far is correcting a cheap small machine vice originally bought for a vertical slide to use on the machine - not a right-angle in it when bought!

Post by JohnHaine » Mon 20 Feb , 2012 18:01 pm

I'm surprised that the cover wouldn't come off, what is stopping it? Just unscrew 8 button head capscrews and it should lift off - I had mine off only yesterday. Once it's off bearing access is obvious. As far as I remember on mine the cover came straight off without needing any persuasion, but I suppose the paints might have stuck a bit. Try a gentle biff with a soft mallet?

njlwilliamson

Post by njlwilliamson » Tue 21 Feb , 2012 14:59 pm

Got it off. Thanks chaps. It did just need a tap with a mallet, it looked like it hasn't been off for a while!

flyingmike
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by flyingmike » Fri 24 Feb , 2012 9:57 am

Hi, They are quite chunky bearings on the spindle but easy to remove. You can see the lower one just by removing the cover plate located on the outside of the head.

I changed mine as I was getting a strange knocking noise. Cost about £80 for a pair of angular contact bearings from simplybearings. I think the original ones were ok though just not preloaded enough as the preloading nut (slotted nut) was not that tight.

Just remember to remove the key before trying to tap out the spindle like I didnt...ha :roll:

Mike