Bringing a Mirac PC back to life

All info relating to the Denford Mirac lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

sandy1151
Hardware/Software: Denford Mirac PC

Bringing a Mirac PC back to life

Post by sandy1151 » Tue 09 Sep , 2014 21:40 pm

I've just acquired a Mirac PC but unfortunately only the lathe - the PC and the case with all the electrical circuitry had gone. I can't find any serial number on the machine or cabinet but the serial number of the Baruffaldi RH80-6 turret is 83833 and the spec appears to be the same as one I found on this forum which dated from June 1990. All electronics were separate and the only controls on the cabinet are the emergency stop and an Axis limit switch override. I had to dismantle it to get it home - it's a heavy devil - but I found a photo of one which appears to be very similar and have attached it (hopefully).
I plan to fit a modern inverter and drives and to run Mach 3 and it is likely to be a long process but there are a number of questions which would help me to get going.
1) Do you have a manual for this machine - I've seen one on the site which appears to be from a later machine.
2) Similarly a wiring diagram - again I've found one which doesn't quite fit. In the diagram, both the spindle motor and the turret are driven from the same inverter - on mine the spindle is 240v, 3 phase while the turret is 110v, 3 phase.
3) The spindle encoder is a Hohner model 12C12 - can this be used by Mach 3 or do I need to fit a modern encoder.
4) Do you have any information on the Baruffaldi RH80-6 turret and how it can be interfaced to Mach 3.
Sorry to bombard you with so many questions but it seems to be a lovely bit of engineering and it would be nice to get it going again.
Attachments
Mirac ident to mine.jpg
Mirac ident to mine.jpg (78.82 KiB) Viewed 7393 times