Compact 1000 pro E-stop and off on switch

General support, help and advice for Denford CNC machines (old and new)

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Ant
Hardware/Software: Denford Microrouter Pro

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

Compact 1000 pro E-stop and off on switch

Post by Ant » Thu 08 Oct , 2020 9:09 am

Denford Compact 1000 Pro

Bye way of a long-winded explanation the E- stop button on our Compact 1000 disintegrated leaving just the bare wires. I replaced the ~E-Stop yesterday (with the exact same model) wiring each of the Normally closed contacts 11-12 with red (or blue) and the 21 – 22 with blue (or red) not sure which I tried in my haste.

The above allowed the V5 software to run without hitch albeit all I attempted was to home the router.
This is when I noticed that the on/off switch to the RH side of the Compact 100 was still in the off position! Strange. I switched it on and the light on the switch illuminated but seemed to do very little else.

I then tried to home the router again and it went through its normal steps X,Y axis with its tiny movement assuming correcting position but the z axis made an awful noise (as though it was at its limit but trying to go further).
This continued for a few seconds and there was nowt I could do, even trying to switch it off by the main on/off switch. Pulling the plug seemed to be the only option!

I restarted everything including the VR 5 software but noticed that now I did not have jog control. I had hoped to use jog to take the Z axis off from its datum to see if this helped to avoid the issue when using the home button.

I am not sure what I have managed to do simply by fitting a new E-Stop! I noticed that the Optidrive was showing ‘Stop’ and that nothing I did (shutting off power etc) would change this. Therefore, I found the three button reset sequence which rest the Optidrive control. However, this made no difference to the machines on/off switch operation nor gave me back the jog control in VR5.

I am at a loss as to what I could have done simply fitting the new E-Stop? What concerns me is the on/off switch not isolating the machine.
Just to add that this machine was working fine before the old E-stop button disintegrated! Nothing else has been touched or changed by anyone.
Am I missing something? Is there a specific wiring sequence for the same colour pairs I needed to adhere to? Is there an overall reset of everything I can perform?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated – especially when I will be needing the machine to cut new F1 cars for the regionals.

Regards,

Tony

Ant

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

Re: Compact 1000 pro E-stop and off on switch

Post by Ant » Fri 09 Oct , 2020 11:18 am

Okay,

Some progress.

I read something about a Secret Home and managed to get the jog window back to jog the Z axis away from its position.

I also read that dust and muck could be causing an issue with the axis not homing correctly, therefore, I set about trying to clean everything with a paint brush and powerful vacuum.

The above seems to have had some effect on the Z axis as before it would stop before it got to the limit switch and now it moves all the way (you can hear the limit switch contact). However, although the Z axis limit switch is operated it seems to continue trying to home, vibrating and making an awful racket. Both the X and Y axis are homing fine. I replaced the Z axis limit switch with a new one but it is still continuing to try to home even after hitting the limit switch.

Is the above simply a case of dirt or debris (none that one can see) or should I be looking at software at this point or resetting the home positions somehow?

Tony

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 09 Oct , 2020 13:19 pm

It sounds like the Z datum switch has dust in it which is making the machine think it has not reached the switch.

The dust gets stuck between to contacts of the switch as you have jogged the axis down in the z axis apply a vacuum to the switch and manually press and release it which should suck the dust from between the contacts.

If you press the ESC key this aborts the home procedure.

If the control panel is in home mode as you press any of the home switches a small green XY or Z appears at the bottom of the display window to show the switches are working.

Stop on the Optidrive indicates E STOP has been released and that the spindle is stopped

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 09 Oct , 2020 13:19 pm

It sounds like the Z datum switch has dust in it which is making the machine think it has not reached the switch.

The dust gets stuck between to contacts of the switch as you have jogged the axis down in the z axis apply a vacuum to the switch and manually press and release it which should suck the dust from between the contacts.

If you press the ESC key this aborts the home procedure.

If the control panel is in home mode as you press any of the home switches a small green XY or Z appears at the bottom of the display window to show the switches are working.

Stop on the Optidrive indicates E STOP has been released and that the spindle is stopped

Ant

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

Post by Ant » Fri 09 Oct , 2020 13:30 pm

Thanks Steve.

I have replaced this switch with a new one so, unless this is not working, it presumably is something else?

I will check the green switch lights and report back!

Cheers,

Tony

Ant

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

Post by Ant » Fri 09 Oct , 2020 16:28 pm

Okay,

The green lights come on briefly (for a few seconds) with their corresponding axis markers, i.e. X & Y. The Z axis green light does not

So, I assume that the Z axis is not homing correctly (even though I replaced the limit switch). I am having to use the Secret Home button to operate any of the axis as these buttons currently do not appear in normal operation in VR5? Is this due to the fact that that the Z axis isn't homing?

I can replace the limit switch again as I have a couple of spares and take the motor off and other bits to clean the Z axis screw etc. Is there something I am missing here?

I read on another post something about the motor brake. Is this adjustable - what am I looking at?

Just as important as the above is the fact that the Compact 1000 operates regardless of whether it is switched on or off (see pics). Is this normal?

Any help/advice would be good.

Have a great weekend all.

Regards,

Tony
Attachments
IMG_3810.jpg
IMG_3810.jpg (26.18 KiB) Viewed 12998 times
IMG_3809.jpg
IMG_3809.jpg (27.68 KiB) Viewed 12998 times

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 09 Oct , 2020 18:26 pm

Until the axis is homed you cannot select jog mode. Use the secret home and then jog all the Axes away from home. Then select home mode again. Look at the control panel position display window and click the y datum switch a few times and look for the green letter Y to appear. This proves the switch is working. Repeat this with the x home switch then the z. If the green letter z does not appear either the home switch is faulty or is wired incorrectly. There are 3 terminals on the switch. Make sure you are using the right ones and compare to the other switches.

Ant

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

Post by Ant » Tue 13 Oct , 2020 17:59 pm

Hi Steve,

I checked it all tonight and both X and Y axis home fine and show that they have homed.

The Z axis gets to its home position but makes a real racket (vibration against the stop) and gives an error message.

I have attached a picture of the limit switch wiring which is connected in the same way the others are albeit on this swich there are coloured wires whereas on the others (X&Y) there are not.

I once again replaced the limit switch with a new one but the same occurred.

The limit switch is being tripped (physically) but the Z axis motor is not switching off. I am pressing the ESC key to cancel the home as you suggested and then starting the process all over again, i.e. disconnecting from the real machine, re-connecting, double clicking to get the secret jog and moving all axis away and then re-homing each in turn. It's only the Z axis that is playing up.

Should I now remove the Z axis motor and housing to clean the whole thing or is there a simpler way?

Speaking of motors not switching off after they seemingly trip the limit switch - what is the deal with the compact 10000 on/off switch not functioning (able to use the machine in on or off position)?

Regards,

Tony
Attachments
IMG_3812.jpg
IMG_3812.jpg (52.21 KiB) Viewed 12977 times

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Tue 13 Oct , 2020 21:19 pm

the Z motor is not switching off as it is not seeing the switch state change, there is the possibility that the wire is damaged within the connectors so this could be why this is happening with new switches, also is there a possibility that the contacts on the switch are not the same so in fact it is not doing anything.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 16 Oct , 2020 11:16 am

Are you sure the switch is being activated?

There is a bit a play on screw & it needs to be pushed towards the actuator before the 2 button head screws are tightened.

Ant

Latest ver 5 + Q Cam etc

Post by Ant » Wed 20 Jan , 2021 11:26 am

Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's replies before Christmas.

I have been bothering Denford directly but am conscious that I am taking up a lot of time.

The On/Off switch problem I had was a weird one. this is where the On/Off main switch on the side of the Compact 1000 was not working, i.e. the router would power up regardless of whether being switched on or off!

I solved the above issue by accident, simply by undoing the C14 power inlet to test for a bad earth connection or if the switch had been incorrectly wired. Both were fine, so I screwed it back into the cabinet and. lo and behold, it now works! I am ordering a new C14 power inlet as I fear there is something amiss with it and I would rather replace to be on the safe side.

The Z axis home issue is still a problem - all others (X&Y) home correctly with the tell tale green light. The Z still keeps going until I press escape on the keyboard.

The limit switches I have used are all the same in that they use the same connectors for normally open or closed. The switch is being physically closed and so can I assume now it is a poor connection?

A few further questions:

A...Does the limit switch operate another switch on a power distribution board (PDB) and if this is so could it be the PDB at fault? Further, how do I check

B...Is there any way I could have caused the above issue when fitting a new E-Stop recently (I had played around with the wires n this until Steve kindly provided the correct wiring diagrams!)?

C...Is it worth re-installing any software (assuming software corruption could be an issue)?

D...Is it worth replacing any cables/fuses or relays?

Cheers,

Tony

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Wed 20 Jan , 2021 18:34 pm

If i remember correctly the limit switch links back to the control board directly, you just need to use a meter and check the continuity on each wire, You could 'prove' if the issue is the wire/switch by directly wiring a switch to the control board and manually operating it.
II can't remember what pins it goes back to but if you have the diagrams you should be able to work it out

Pete

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Tue 26 Jan , 2021 18:51 pm

The Z home switch is wired to Terminals TB1 and TB7 with Violet wires.

We discussed how to view the Debug I/O in the software. If you remove the violet wire from the Z Datum input in TB 1 then try and home the machine If the Z home input is working the Z axis will think it is on the limit switch and drive down towards the table.

Pressing the ESC key will stop this.

If it continues to try and drive upwards then the input 14 is faulty

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (212.45 KiB) Viewed 12193 times