New owner - no software

All info relating to the Denford MicroRouter Compact small routing machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Paul_R
Hardware/Software: Microrouter Compact

New owner - no software

Post by Paul_R » Thu 02 Jul , 2020 21:51 pm

I recently picked up a 2004 Microrouter Compact to play around with as a hobby. I used to work with CAD/CAM a lot and troubleshoot post processors, but it's been over 15 years since then. The g-code isn't a concern so much for me (I'm rusty but I'll figure it out), but with no software at all being included with my purchase, just being able to send a program to the machine is proving to be more challenging than I had hoped.

I've tried a number of shortcuts (Mach3, Universal G-code Sender, DNC4U, etc.), hoping to be able to send a program to the machine, but nothing is working out as easily as I had hoped. I started exploring MINT Workbench (I have the Baldor NextMoveST motion controller) and was able to get the 3 axes to move, which was a huge breakthrough, but I'm not at all confident I'm going down the right path. So, I have millions of questions, but for now I guess I'd like some advice on what path might be best for me.

I would really like to find a generic way of sending a g-code file to the CNC. Does the MINT Workbench provide a realistic way for a hobbyist to achieve that? Ideally non-proprietary, popular (so I can find lots of help and advice online), and flexible (so I can use the same system if I acquire another type/make of CNC in the future). I may go to Denford for a license in the end, but my brain is still telling me "this can't be that difficult".

Would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,
Paul

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: New owner - no software

Post by TDIPower » Fri 03 Jul , 2020 23:44 pm

Hi,

I have used the denford Vr milling software for near on 20yrs now, It does the job and is relatively straight forward. I have seen people go down the route of gutting machines of the control for ebay mach 3 conversions and many hours of setting up and often question why.
I am sure that mach 3 or other stuff can offer a user much more than the denford control but in the years i have used it i have found it does the job. It is not tied to a specific machine so if you had various machines you could use it on them all (unlike the boxford stuff) The machines have been configured with numerous safety features so they can be used in education establishments , some like to by pass others are happy to keep them and fingers.

Pete

Paul_R

Post by Paul_R » Mon 06 Jul , 2020 15:44 pm

Thanks Pete. I'm in the US, so Denford (and Boxford) are new to me. I'll check out the Denford software.

Paul_R

Post by Paul_R » Mon 27 Jul , 2020 20:37 pm

I did purchase the VR Milling V5 software and am very happy I did. It is fairly intuitive for someone who likes to jump right in without reading a lot. Saved me weeks, or months (or an eternity) of trying to make do without. I'm also using the hobby/trial version of Fusion 360 to make designs, program and post process. Totally new to that software too, but managing, again without reading much. I've only done some basic pocketing and text engraving, but very impressed so far.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Mon 27 Jul , 2020 23:42 pm

Great stuff! I thought you had gone quiet. Glad you are finding your way around it all OK.

Pete

modalframe

Post by modalframe » Mon 17 Aug , 2020 7:27 am

I'm sorry or offtopic, But I have a quick question and can't make new topics yet. Is Denford software works with other manufacturer's machines? I have Zen Toolworks CNC. Thank you.