Cleaning the Z axis

All info relating to the Denford MicroRouter and MicroRouter Pro CNC Routers

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Cleaning the Z axis

Post by TDIPower » Mon 23 Sep , 2019 21:10 pm

HI, I know the answer to the problem BUT am looking for the best way to go about it.

One of the microrouters PROs at work has started sticking in Y axis, you can hear it start to loose place with the motor stalling (sounds like when you have put one of the X nuts a thread out).

The feed nut has been undone and moved away from the gantry cleaned and re fitted, each of the rods have been removed in turn cleaned, the 'gibs' cleaned inside and rods refitted (no adjustment made on the 'gib' screws).
With the nut away, the gantry moves with a slight resistance on its slides (I could borrow a newton meter from science for a value...). I can't seen to get it to stall buy just running the Y motor back and forth.

I ran the teddy test file for the compact but changed the feed speed up to 4000, it ran fine no problem, that does a lot of X raster with Y cutter width steps then Y raster with X cutter width steps. This was set up with the material as far from machine zero as possible.

However when the gantry went home (all 3 axis driving) Y did grumble but not stall fully.

Further test show it doesn't mater where you set up the job zero in the bed. The Y can stall anywhere along its travel.
We are suspecting that we only seem to get the stalling/grumble when X/Y are traveling at the same time and it is ONLY the Y axis that is loosing position.

I want to fully strip the nut off the Y axis to be sure there is nothing in there,
As i understand it I need to:
take the back cover off,
loosen the shaft coupler,
remove the Y stepper motor,
undo the nut on the feed screw,
remove the bearing retainer on the front side of the machine
undo the feed nut
pull the feed screw out through the front bearing hole with the bearing fitted whilst winding the Y nut off (hope fully the bearing on the motor side will stay in its housing, I think it has a retainer..).

Is there an easier way?

I just want to do this before I start to pursue a possible electronic issue where the Y is messing up when X is running.

Thanks

Pete

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Cleaning the Z axis

Post by Martin » Tue 24 Sep , 2019 9:56 am

Hi Pete

It does sound like a build up inside the nut.

It's a while since I have had to strip one down but you are on the right track.

Martin

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Cleaning the Z axis

Post by TDIPower » Tue 24 Sep , 2019 21:10 pm

For me too. Not the easiest things to clean out, just have to bite the bullet and get on with it!

Thanks

Pete