All info relating to the Denford MicroRouter and MicroRouter Pro CNC Routers

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

TechJohn
Hardware/Software: Microrouter V5 Pro NS
VR Mill v5
Quickcam 2d

MircoRouter V5 Pro NS working again

Post by TechJohn » Thu 25 Sep , 2014 13:03 pm

I am the new Tech support in D&T for this machine. It was working on a stand alone XP machine ok several years ago (so I am informed).
It was taken out of service when the school upgraded to Win7. I have connected a Win7 laptop with VR Mill V5 and Quickcam 2d via a USB to RS adapter on COM5.
I have trawled the forum and found a few useful links but I am now running out of options.posting.php?mode=post&f=37#

The router - MicroRouter V5 PRO NS built 2004 - has a Green led Nextstep controller - the start up sequence is;
display 8, then centre bar with flashing dot, then 2, then centre bar without flashing dot - this is it's stable state.
This remains the same whether the serial lead is connected to the laptop or not.
When I operate the emergency stop the display cycles thro' E-S-t-o-p -----
Looking up the NS display codes this is showing 'Axes disabled after loading mint file before starting software for first time'
I have checked the 5 fuses on the rail and the one on the board next to the controller - all ok.

I have set up the VR Mill V5 (both the v5.24.0.433 original and latest from download) in machine settings for MicroRouter Pro, changed both COM settings to COM5, the stop bits to 2 and the speed to 19200. I have also disabled the fifo in the USB driver.
The earlier s/w responded with the control set to 0 but froze with the setting 8 as loaded from the cd.
The later s/w loaded with control 9 (also freezes) and does not respond when set to 0
When the s/w did try to run it returns the error screen requesting the check of the RS232 cable and turning the router power on after running thro' as setup banner sequence.
I have checked the serial cable for damage - all ok.
I have also tried another make of USB to serial converter that gave the same results.

Can you point me in the right direction please?
1. Have I got a fault in the router to fix before I can access it?
2. What are the correct flow/control settings for this machine in the VRmill V5 setup screens (assuming that both COM's are set the same and are the correct PC port)
Any pointers gratefully received.posting.php?mode=post&f=37#

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: MircoRouter V5 Pro NS working again

Post by Martin » Thu 25 Sep , 2014 18:12 pm

Can you install & run Denford Machine EasyUpgrader & see what it reports.

TechJohn
VR Mill v5
Quickcam 2d

Post by TechJohn » Fri 26 Sep , 2014 9:28 am

Hi Martin,
Thanks for your response.
This morning I have reverted to using an old XP laptop with a built in COM1 port to remove the USB-RS232 converters from the equation.
I had forgotten how sloooowww these older machines were!
I have the laptop COM1 speed set to 5600, 2 stop bits with the FIFO off at the moment
I will stick with the old laptop until we get some progress in operating the machine.

I have installed and run Easy Upgrader2 as requested - results for step 3;
Firmware 5216
FPGA 17
CPLD 9
Machine ID unknown/special (from CE plate - MicroRouter V5 Pro NS)
Serial No uuuuuu/uuu (from CE plate - H04362 Built Feb 2004)
Node 2

Connected OK COM1
Nextmove ST - RS232 only Green LED

Other fields for next steps are greyed out

Hope this helps?

TechJohn
VR Mill v5
Quickcam 2d

Post by TechJohn » Tue 30 Sep , 2014 9:15 am

Hi Martin,
Is what I saw in Easy Upgrader2 what you expected?
What do you suggest I do next?

TechJohn
VR Mill v5
Quickcam 2d

Post by TechJohn » Tue 30 Sep , 2014 10:03 am

Hi Martin,
I did not say that Easy Upgrader reported the machine was up to date - oops.
I have rerun the prog and ticked the debug box - results below;
Debug output

5035.firmware0
14.fpga0
9.cpld0
0.comms0
5216.firmware1
17.fpga1
9.cpld1
0.comms1
5216.firmware2
5328.Firmware2
5331.firmware2
17.fpga2
4.cpld2
3.comms2
5216.firmware3
5331.firmware3
20.fpga3
4.cpld3
3.comms3
5403.firmware4
17.fpga4
3.cpld4
10.comms4
5414.firmware5
17.fpga5
3.cpld5
16.comms5
5414.firmware6
17.fpga6
4.cpld6
11.comms6
Trying USB link . . .
Failed to find USB link
Trying Controller NextStep 52xx
Connecting to COM:1 Baud:57600 Node:2
Firmware: V 5216
FPGA: V 17
CPLD: V 9
pszType: NextMove ES / NextMove ST
pszVersion: G101
pszSerial: 0401060018
pnBoardType: 9
plPowerCycles: 250
pnAxes: 4
pnReleaseCandidate0
pnBuildOption7
pbstrCustomer2.3
Comms Version0
Trying USB link . . .
Failed to find USB link
Trying Controller NextStep 52xx
Connecting to COM:1 Baud:57600 Node:2
Firmware: V 5216
FPGA: V 17
CPLD: V 9
pszType: NextMove ES / NextMove ST
pszVersion: G101
pszSerial: 0401060018
pnBoardType: 9
plPowerCycles: 251
pnAxes: 4
pnReleaseCandidate0
pnBuildOption7
pbstrCustomer2.3
Comms Version0

Any help most welcome.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 30 Sep , 2014 22:12 pm

If Easy Upgrader connects then the link should be ok. You could try setting the Com port to Com 1 or Com 2 & then changing it in the cons section to match. You could also try different control type settings in the communication settings.

TechJohn
VR Mill v5
Quickcam 2d

Post by TechJohn » Wed 01 Oct , 2014 11:21 am

Hi,
Comms set to 1 in VR5 and PC, rate 19200, 8 bit, 2 stop bits, no handshake or parity. This seems to be working best.
Tried several control setings as suggested;
20, 10, 9, 8 (changes to 9 when run), 7, 5 & 3 - all hang s/w at Initialisation in control panel and need VR5 to be closed from task manager.
6 & 0 - Access violation AD 0040A72B Write 00000190
4 - brings up low level debug form + error box - error opening Comm1
2 - licence invalid error for connect machine
1 - V5 access violation Add 00592AAE read 000002D8

From the forum I would guess that 9 should be the right one?

From the comms setup in VR5 it is reporting the mint file as MicroRouterPro.mnt

Tried mintman.exe to reload but throws up comm error and hangs. Checking available mints the one in VR5 is available as are versions for MicroRouterPro 52xx.mnt.
Am I correct in assuming that these would tie in with the current firmware V 5216?

Tried MintManNextstep with same comm settings - it connects.
available files are all mex so tried uploading MicroRouterPro 52xx.mex - pressed send mint - connected and green led changed from solid centre bar to flashing e with solid dot. Software reported flashing firmware banner and after a while returned to normal with a red bar around the run button. BUT still have flashing E in Router.
Pressed run (has red surround at this point) and flashing E stops and returns to solid centre bar.
Restart VR5 and check comms setup and it still shows MicroRouterPro.mint as file?
I assume that the flash failed?

As the steady state of the router display is centre bar lit with no flashing dot (error) I assume that the problem is with the correct mint/mex file not being available when VR5 tries to connect. Is this a fair assumption?
Any thoughts gratefully accepted.

TechJohn
VR Mill v5
Quickcam 2d

Post by TechJohn » Thu 02 Oct , 2014 9:42 am

A bit more information - using link settings above & control type 9;
Edited VR5 ini to enable mint debug = true - when real machine is selected, software hangs and no debug screen appears.
Tried accessing debug machine I/O from Setup menu - but is greyed out before real machine is selected (s/w hangs when selected)

MintmanNextstep does connect and reports sending file but fails to complete write & Easyupgrader2 reports connection - so COMM link does appear to work.

Would appear that control card is in a steady idle state where it does not respond to the PC when 'real machine' is selected, display shows solid centre bar (no flashing dot) when I would expect an 8.

Anyone any suggestions on what to try next??

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 03 Oct , 2014 12:43 pm

Just looking at the comms in VR Milling version 5 I would say it should be set to
Baud rate 57600
Stop bits 1
Control type 9
Node 2

You should not need to change from the standard set.

TechJohn
VR Mill v5
Quickcam 2d

Post by TechJohn » Fri 03 Oct , 2014 15:16 pm

I have setup both PC and VR5 to Comm1, 57600, 1 stop bit, control 9, node 2. (still sticking with the XP laptop with a real 9 pin COMM port)
Router has single centre bar of display lit on NextStep control board after completing start-up sequence.

Starting VR5 same as before - when real machine button pressed, control panel appears with 'initialising' in the activity box and s/w freezes.
I still have VR5 debug enabled but it does not appear.

Tried MintManNextstep again - it connects (@57600) and sent MicroRouterPro52xx.mex - reports progress thro' to 100% (same as before) and flashing 'E' with solid dot appears in router. Then screen changed to two green boxes around connect and disconnect and Router just continues with flashing 'E'. (waited a while to see if it changed - no joy)
Closed MintManNextstep program and Router returns to centre bar solid.

Start VR5 again, checked comms settings and still showing MicroRouterPro.mnt and s/w hangs when real machine is selected - no response from router.

Looks like the only program that is shifting the router from it's steady state is MintManNextstep but that is not completing the up/down load?

From the listing of codes when the NextStep board powers up;
The solid Centre Bar = Axes disabled, normally after downloading Mint (MEX file) for first time, before starting Denford S/W

VR5 is still showing MicroRouterPro.mnt as loaded in the comms set-up - it is obviously not connecting when the real machine button is pressed, is the .mnt the correct file for this configuration.
Or should I have a .mex file loaded?
Or should either work?

If I do need to update the .mnt /.mex file stored in the router, what is the correct sequence to get it changed?
I have not found a step by step for doing this anywhere (yet).

TechJohn
VR Mill v5
Quickcam 2d

Post by TechJohn » Mon 06 Oct , 2014 11:12 am

Found references to Workbench v5 on forum.
Have loaded the program and scanned comms - found Comm 1 @19200 & controller Node 2
Changed config to 57600, closed prog and reopened, rescanned and the config reports 57600 - so that stuck.
Top left display (seven seg mimic?) shows green centre bar as on controller in router.
Bottom info bar shows - NextMove ST Build 5216 CAN open. This seems correct.
Looking through tool bars there is a reset controller option.
Used this and controller cycles thro' - 8, centre bar with flashing dot, 2 and then steady centre bar no dot.
So the controller accepted the reset command over the serial link and cycled correctly.
In workbench Task screen - parent task, modify_speed & check remote stuff - count increments at polling speed - so perhaps the link is active?
In the Terminal screen - sequence of characters in square brackets then --- iBRouter Pro MintV5 (c) Denford Ltd.

It would appear that the pc is communicating with the router but that the router is in a state that the VR5 s/w locks up to?

Anyone any ideas on what to try next?????

TechJohn
VR Mill v5
Quickcam 2d

Post by TechJohn » Mon 06 Oct , 2014 15:23 pm

I have gone back to MintManNextstep and experimented with updating the files;
Starting point - Program reports Build = 5216, Mint status (changes by run/stop), FPGA ver = 17, CPLD ver = 9.
Uploading the firmware seemed to unblock the controller (my perception) - MintManNextstep actions are now;.
Uploaded mint - MicroRouterPro 52xx.mex - ok - mint turns on and off but controller displays centre bar only and VR5 locks up when real machine selected.
Uploaded Firmware - NextMoveST build5216 CANopen.chx - ok - controller display changes to 2, mint stopped and when run pressed error box - "Application data object not found".
Uploaded FPGA data - FGPA Config NextMove ST V17.fpga - ok - controller display changes to 2, mint stopped and when run pressed error box - "Application data object not found".

Tried editing (typing in) the mint in comms setup for VR5 from MicroRouterPro.mnt to MicroRouterPro 52xx.mex - changed text has stuck but VR5 still hangs when initialising (before debug) when real machine pressed for any combination of above.

Results are;
1. Uploading 52xx.mex gives the centre bar in display and mint can be started and stopped by MintManNextstep.
(MintMan.exe does not run so I cannot try uploading MicroRouterPro.mnt)
2. Uploading Firmware or FGPA gives controller display of 2 but mint will not run.

Reloading the .mex returns the display to the centre bar so the loading order of the files does not seem important?

There would appear to be a mismatch between the mint and firmware/FGPA files?
The serial link appears to be working and the uploading display on the control board is reacting as expected during the uploads and settling to a steady state when the upload has completed.

A little more info on what's happening but it would help to know which files work together and which ones are incompatible?

TechJohn
VR Mill v5
Quickcam 2d

Post by TechJohn » Thu 09 Oct , 2014 14:57 pm

Final Update !!!!!
I have gone back to MintManNexstep and downloaded the MicroRouter Pro 52XX.mex and the 5216 CAN firmware and FPGA V17 again - results same as above.
I have found the VR5.ini file in the VR5 directory and looked at the [RS232] settings;
Comm Port = 0 expected 1
Baud Rate = 6
Data Bits = 2 expected 8
Parity = 2 expected 0
Handshake = 0
Stop Bits = 0 expected 1

Tried changing these but no difference, so changed them back.

Then I completely uninstalled VR5 leaving only the licence file in the VR5 directory (manually deleted everything else that was left after the uninstall).
Then installed the latest VR5 again (clean install).
When the router powers up the NextStep controller cycles as before to a 'solid center bar' and stays there.

Now when the real machine is selected in VR5 the firmware IS now uploaded and the software connects to the machine correctly.
I have run the 'Teddy' demo and the router seems to be working ok - hooray!!!

The settings I now have working in the VR5 are;
Communications;
Baud Rate = 57600
Comm Port = 1 (or whatever you use)
Stop Bit = 1
Mint File = MicroRouter Pro.mnt
Control Type = 9
Node = 2

T input/output
comm port = 5

Using MintManNextstep to download;
Mint File - MicroRouterPro.52XX.mex,
NextmoveST Build - 5216 CAN Open.chx &
FPGA Config = NextmoveST V17.FPGA
Seems to have unblocked the machine and allowed a clean load of VR5 to connect and upload the firmware correctly.
The NextStep control board still cycles thro' to a solid centre bar on the display when the machine powers up and when the VR5 is disconnected from the machine - this seems to be it's normal state? It would have been helpful to know that earlier.
When the machine is running normally the display mimics the control functions as listed for the Next step board elsewhere on the forum.

I now have the machine operational and I hope that the information here may help anyone who inherits a MicroRouter that has been out of commission due to Windows upgrades and incompatibility issues.