Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

gsport
Hardware/Software: Denford Micromill
Solidworks
QuickCAM PRO
VR Milling V5

Linux CNC settings

Post by gsport » Fri 31 Mar , 2017 18:08 pm

So after a bit of faffing about I have my Micromill hooked up through a breakout board and axis moving.

But LinuxCNC is asking for some settings I dont know.

From searching on here I gather that the basic resolution is 8000 steps per inch, but would be good to know the native steps per revolution and driver microstepping (and lead screw pitch but I will try measuring this)

Anyone know these?

Thanks

George

davejfowler
Hardware/Software: Denford Micromill 2000
VR 2.8

Re: Linux CNC settings

Post by davejfowler » Mon 01 May , 2017 18:00 pm

Hello, did you get any answers to this, and have you managed to get this working?

I am in the process of replacing my control board, or breaking out and using third party software... Now sure how easy the latter option is, but would love to know how far you have got!!!

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Mon 01 May , 2017 20:28 pm

I am pretty sure you can find this out from looking at the machine set up info in VR milling. when you go to machine set up it asks for a password which is denny you should be able to see travel limits, spindle speed, steps per rev etc.

Pete

gsport
Hardware/Software: Denford Micromill
Solidworks
QuickCAM PRO
VR Milling V5

Post by gsport » Mon 01 May , 2017 23:22 pm

davejfowler wrote:Hello, did you get any answers to this, and have you managed to get this working?

I am in the process of replacing my control board, or breaking out and using third party software... Now sure how easy the latter option is, but would love to know how far you have got!!!
YES. Got all axis moving and spindle speed control working too. Using LinuxCNC and Pycam

Also made a sort of adaptor for the spindle so I can get 128mm of Y axis

Seems to work well in terms of not missing any steps, but Pycam is not working great for me, might be I need to learn to use it more or might just be a bit basic.

I'm using 400 steps per revolution and microstepping at 1.0 (ie. none) seems OK but would still love to know if this is optimal.

George