Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

gsport
Hardware/Software: Denford Micromill
Solidworks
QuickCAM PRO
VR Milling V5

Spindle control help please

Post by gsport » Mon 13 Mar , 2017 17:29 pm

After much tinkering, I decided that the problem with my micromill 2000CE was the Denstep board, so I am in the process of removing it and allowing a computer running LinuxCNC to control directly.

I have a 96 way connector and a breakout board which I am rigging up in a similar way to what Jay did here
https://www.summet.com/blog/2016/01/16/ ... s-control/

My issue is with the spindle control board. This looks very different on my machine:-

https://goo.gl/photos/aQ8RrmuRBLxwCRDT7
https://goo.gl/photos/gKEDKHotAwSUqqNL9

So I am wondering what is my best bet for controlling it.

My breakoutboard is this one:-
http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/downlo ... Manual.pdf

Which has a 0-10v output and wants a 12-24v input

Can I take a feed from the Siemens box's 24v output for this (down the bottom) and then feed it into the board somewhere to control the speed?

Is it possible to pick up these connections from the 96 pin connector on the main board for neatness?

If it is going to be a big problem to get speed control then I am pretty happy with an on-off solution at full whack.

Many thanks for any advice on this.

George

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Spindle control help please

Post by TDIPower » Mon 13 Mar , 2017 17:53 pm

Not sure on the connection to other control gear but (I may be wrong on this) I'm sure the speed controller has a 10v, 0V and an input. You could wire the spindle override from the front panel with one side at 10v other side at 0v and wiper on input. to give you an element of control.

I think it is the bottom 3 connection on the left in the pic of the speed controller, you have what looks like a brown and a blue in the input and 0v.

I'm also sure I read somewhere about the 10v on the speed control needing isolating as its somehow linked to 220v. I can't remember exactly but someone was trying to do something similar (possibly in the link you posted).

Pete

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Mon 13 Mar , 2017 18:00 pm

Might be some more info on the speed controller if its the same as this...

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4778

Pete

gsport
Solidworks
QuickCAM PRO
VR Milling V5

Post by gsport » Tue 14 Mar , 2017 18:06 pm

TDIPower wrote:Not sure on the connection to other control gear but (I may be wrong on this) I'm sure the speed controller has a 10v, 0V and an input. You could wire the spindle override from the front panel with one side at 10v other side at 0v and wiper on input. to give you an element of control.

I think it is the bottom 3 connection on the left in the pic of the speed controller, you have what looks like a brown and a blue in the input and 0v.

I'm also sure I read somewhere about the 10v on the speed control needing isolating as its somehow linked to 220v. I can't remember exactly but someone was trying to do something similar (possibly in the link you posted).

Pete
Thanks for replying.

I think you are right about the bottom left connections. I put the Denstep board back on and tested here and saw 1.6 volts at a low spindle speed.

Unfortunately I think removing the denstep board has left the main board with no battery to retain the firmware and spindle speed control now no longer works (ie. stuck at very low speed).

I then tried removing the denstep board again and putting a 4volt supply onto these two but nothing happens, which I assume is because the SGR (Spindle go relay) isn't triggered?

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to trigger (or bypass) the go relay?

George

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Tue 14 Mar , 2017 23:03 pm

Have you found the wiring diagrams I'm sure they are on here somewhere?

gsport
Solidworks
QuickCAM PRO
VR Milling V5

Post by gsport » Tue 14 Mar , 2017 23:40 pm

TDIPower wrote:Have you found the wiring diagrams I'm sure they are on here somewhere?
Yes. They are in the sticky thread above.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2929

Relevant one for my machine appears to be the Micromill-denstep-electrical-June2000.pdf
6th one down in first post.

Speed control boards on pages 5,6 and 7 all have Red Blue wires from Denstep board at 0-10v
Then Spindle Go Relay SGR at pins 4 and 5 on that board coming from 84 and 85 from pins 14 and 11 on the SGR itself
Other side of SGR is 82 and 83 with a diode across the top like the later revisions.

Page 12 shows the 83 cable going to pin 0 of the TB3 outputs on the main board then the otherside going through the guard contact to the 24volt side of the siemens transformer 24v through wire 61.... I think...

Does this mean that if I wire the top side of the SGR to my 24volt switched output of my breakout board it will trigger?

Sorry if this seems obvious, I'm well out of my depth here.

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Wed 15 Mar , 2017 5:55 am

Be very careful with the speed control. The Denford spindle drive requires a DC ISOLATED 0-10v input to control it's speed, this must not be connected to ground in any way. DIYCNC make a board that can control the spindle board from a computer, i'll try to find it and add a link.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Wed 15 Mar , 2017 16:12 pm

I knew there was something I had read on here about having to isolate the 0-10v. Someone had been adding another control board but was having issues with this part. Have a good search/read, it might not have been on a micromill but I'm sure Denford used the same unit in a lot of machines.

Pete

gsport
Solidworks
QuickCAM PRO
VR Milling V5

Post by gsport » Thu 16 Mar , 2017 15:10 pm

angel-tech wrote:Be very careful with the speed control. The Denford spindle drive requires a DC ISOLATED 0-10v input to control it's speed, this must not be connected to ground in any way. DIYCNC make a board that can control the spindle board from a computer, i'll try to find it and add a link.
Surely in the original setup this input was ultimately coming from the Siemens transformer anyway? So if that's where I pull my supply from too it should be fine?

Am I right in my supposition that connecting the 24v accross the top of the SGR is going to turn it on? Or will this damage something?

George