X Axes will not move on Microturn

All info relating to the Denford MicroMill and MicroTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Kholden

Post by Kholden » Wed 12 Apr , 2006 15:10 pm

Description of problem:

When homing the X axis I can hear the motor running but the slide does not move.

Kholden

Post by Kholden » Wed 12 Apr , 2006 15:12 pm

If you are sure that the stepper motor is engaging, then you certainly have a mechanical problem with the lathe. In your machine manual (I believe it will be in Chapter 7) is a section on Maintenance. Ensure that the lead screws have been properly cleaned and lubricated. Check to see if there is a need for any of the recommended adjustments.

I need to know that if you try to manually turn the lead screw – will the axis move. If it does not move, then the most likely problem will be a brass sleeve in the saddle assembly has worn out and will need to be replaced. If the axis does travel when turned manually, then we will need to investigate the connection between the stepper motor and the lead screw.

Kholden

Post by Kholden » Wed 12 Apr , 2006 15:13 pm

When I manually move the X axis leadscrew the cross slide does not move. When I run the stepper motor for the X axis the leadscrew turns but the cross slide does not. Does this mean the saddle assembly is bad? If so how do I go about getting it replaced?

Kholden

Post by Kholden » Wed 12 Apr , 2006 15:16 pm

There is one more thing to check, under the front edge of the saddle is a set screw that holds the brass sleeve in place for the X Axes lead screw. Ensure that this set screw is tight (but do not over tighten, as the sleeve is brass). Then try jogging again.

You may need to remove the lathe from the mounting bracket to get access to the set screw. If you need help - let me know.