Easiturn spindle pulley and belt

All info relating to the Denford EasiMill and EasiTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

rickturner646
Hardware/Software: Easiturn 3

Easiturn spindle pulley and belt

Post by rickturner646 » Sat 16 Apr , 2011 17:47 pm

Does anybody know who the manufacturer was for the spindle pulley on the Easiturn lathe? My lathe is currently topping out at around 1850 RPM and I'd like to be able to get to 3500 RPM or so for smaller diameter things.

The parts list mentions spindle pulleys for various speeds betwenn 2000 and 4000 RPM so it was obviously something done routinely - I assume these speeds were obtained using just different sizes of spindle pulley as they seem to have the same part for the motor pulley throughout.

The parts list just describes a 'spindle pulley xxxx RPM' without any additional information, and the pulley on t'other end is just listed as 'motor pulley'. I cant find any additional information - the parts on my lathe dont have any identifying markings. So I'd like to find out manufacturer and part number(s) if possible.

The drive belt is listed as being made by 'Kenyons' but I've not been able to track that down anywhere else either.

With my current pulleys the reduction ration is 2.1 : 1 and as I said in my Mach conversion append, the motor is running at ~4000 RPM (2 pole motor at 2000 'pulses' per second from the inverter) so I cant see any reason why I cant get to the speed I want.

I assume that my lathe was originally fitted with the slowest speed (largest) spindle pulley because of the massive 250mm air power-chuck that it's fitted with, but I'll be exchanging this with a collet chuck whilst doing the smaller things.

As always, any information or advice will be greatfully received!

Rick

djc

Re: Easiturn spindle pulley and belt

Post by djc » Sat 16 Apr , 2011 21:08 pm

rickturner646 wrote:Does anybody know who the manufacturer was for the spindle pulley on the Easiturn lathe?
I think the pullies and belt are standard poly-V configuration. Medway Power among others has lots of information:

http://www.medwaypt.co.uk/poly_v_belts_pulleys.html

The belt on mine is 340 J10 which is (now) also called PJ10. Mine is also nominally 1:2 ratio motor:spindle with nominal 50mm dia. pully on the motor. The 340 is the number of tenths of an inch of belt length - 34" or 864mm.

I think if you check the pully with a thread gauge, it comes out very close to 11 tpi. I think the vee angle is 40 degrees, but I've seen people sucessfully use a die chaser to make a pulley (1" BSP is 11 tpi but 55 degrees).

I believe Bearing Boys sell Medway's stuff.

rickturner646
Hardware/Software: Easiturn 3

Re: Easiturn spindle pulley and belt

Post by rickturner646 » Mon 18 Apr , 2011 9:42 am

Thanks, Darryll

Rick