Easiturn 3 threading problem

All info relating to the Denford EasiMill and EasiTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

stevewatson

Easiturn 3 threading problem

Post by stevewatson » Tue 24 Mar , 2009 20:54 pm

Hi i have recently purchased a easiturn 3 and in am having trouble getting a decent thread, it does nt seem to be picking up the same cutting pass in Z when it goes to take another cut. nothing seems to be loose.

Also, can anyone tell me how accurate the spindle speed should be. If i program it to 1300 rpm it reads 1260 or there abouts. Any answers or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers Steve

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Tue 24 Mar , 2009 22:47 pm

Hi Steve...

Firstly about the spindle speed. That's pretty good! I'd say +/- 10% is normal.

About the threading...
1) Make sure the your spindle speed isn't too high. Try spindle speeds around 200 - 400rpm
2) There is a sensor disk in the headstock at the back of the spindle. This has a series of holes in it to with a sensor to measure speed, and one long hole on its own to synchronise the start point of threading passes. You can test these sensors by doing the "T Test" (search the forum for other info on this test too)...
- turn on the machine
- press 'drives on'
- press 'T'
This shows a test menu. Somewhere on the screen you'll see the 2 x spindle sensors showing 0 or 1. You can slowly rotate the spindle by hand to check the sensors are working OK

HTH
James

cncbasher
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by cncbasher » Thu 26 Mar , 2009 9:46 am

are you using a ridgid tapping chuck ?

if not make sure your feed rate is as near the tpi of the thread your tapping

stevewatson

easiturn screw cutting

Post by stevewatson » Fri 27 Mar , 2009 21:19 pm

Hi James

Thanks for the reply. I ve carried out the T test and both the 1 & 0 change as i turn the spindle but all the holes in the spindle disc are exactly the same. Does this seem correct.

Cheers Steve

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Fri 27 Mar , 2009 21:37 pm

The synch hole is elongated and separate to the others (it's on the inside of them - on a smaller diameter). It has its own sensor too so the T test should show one input changing many times per spindle rev, and another input changin once per rev.

stevewatson

Post by stevewatson » Sat 04 Apr , 2009 9:24 am

I ve looked and looked again at the spindle disc but all the holes are elongated and are all on the same diametre. Any ideas?

Cheers Steve

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Sat 04 Apr , 2009 19:08 pm

Nah, I thinkyou're mistaken Mr Magoo, my easiturn just had a load of slots all the same. I think the issue is speed - in this case too fast. Those 8086 computers can't count very quick :lol:
Self Catering Lodges in Central France with covered pool & large grounds
www.la-coterie.com

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Sat 04 Apr , 2009 22:01 pm

I think old age is finally catching up with me!
I expected the disk to be about 7" to 8" in diameter & brown coloured (plastic I think). I'm wondering if the disk has been replaced at some time, or the machine is before my time (I worked there from around 1986). Perhaps there's another sensor somewhere that give the reerence pulse?
Threading needs a rerference sensor on the spindle in order to know when to start a threading pass so without it it'll not thread correctly. Any chance of posting some photos?

But Triac Whizz is right - the Easiturn never did like threading at anything other than slow RPMs

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Fri 10 Apr , 2009 7:02 am

Yup, you're right Mr Magoo, they were about that size. made out of tufnol. so full marks for your memory ;)
There wasn't a different slot, they were all the same. I can give you a photo I machined mine off to drill one index hole :) for Mach.
Could it be possible that the old PNC used to count upto the number of holes on the disc and use something electronically to say that was a revolution, for example count 30 holes and send out one pluse? I dunno electronically but I'm sure there never was an index notch/hole.
There's a chart in the easiturn manual that shows how slow to go when cutting threads.
Self Catering Lodges in Central France with covered pool & large grounds
www.la-coterie.com

stevewatson

Post by stevewatson » Tue 14 Apr , 2009 19:34 pm

Thanks for all your help everyone. i ll try lowering the speed even more to see if the thread improves. cant try it now though as i ve got another problem with the z axis drive.

Cheers Steve