Z+ Overtravel Trying To Home Z axis

All info relating to the Denford Cyclone lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Charlie Pollock
Hardware/Software: Denford Cyclone 150p six station toolchanger

Z+ Overtravel Trying To Home Z axis

Post by Charlie Pollock » Sun 18 Jun , 2017 16:59 pm

Hi,

I am getting the message 520 overtravel Z+ when I try to home the z axis on my Cyclone lathe, I have looked in the side and I can see there are 2 micro switches is it likely one of these is not working and now giving me this alarm? I can verify that the machine has not been crashed or anything like that....simply powered down on Friday and won't reference it's home position today.....puzzled.com!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Charlie

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Z+ Overtravel Trying To Home Z axis

Post by Martin » Mon 19 Jun , 2017 15:08 pm

Have you tried powering up with P & CAN depressed?

Charlie Pollock

Post by Charlie Pollock » Mon 19 Jun , 2017 16:27 pm

Martin wrote:Have you tried powering up with P & CAN depressed?
I'm sure I did this on Sunday however I will try again this evening to see if this helps (Keep pressed for at least 5 seconds after power-up?).....thank you for your input....cp

Charlie Pollock

Post by Charlie Pollock » Mon 19 Jun , 2017 20:53 pm

Charlie Pollock wrote:
Martin wrote:Have you tried powering up with P & CAN depressed?
I'm sure I did this on Sunday however I will try again this evening to see if this helps (Keep pressed for at least 5 seconds after power-up?).....thank you for your input....cp
Tried again the P&Can power up but no difference....when I ask the X axis to "home" it goes at high speed....does not slow down like it used to as it approaches reference point.....then hits overtravel and gives the 520 error.

I'm assuming the 1st limit switch is to alert control of impending final switch and to slow down to reference correctly??

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 20 Jun , 2017 12:55 pm

The home switch is the first one. It should hit the switch, slow down, come off the switch & look for its next marker pulse from the spindle motor. You should be able to test the switch in the diagnostics. It should be on the first page below the X diagnostic.

Charlie Pollock

Post by Charlie Pollock » Mon 26 Jun , 2017 9:45 am

Martin wrote:The home switch is the first one. It should hit the switch, slow down, come off the switch & look for its next marker pulse from the spindle motor. You should be able to test the switch in the diagnostics. It should be on the first page below the X diagnostic.
Thanks for the info - this made sense, I have now changed the switch and all is working again. As you say as the skid hits the switch it then slows down, keeps travelling slowly then finds home as per it used to.

Thanks again for all your input / help folks - much appreciated.

atb
cp