Harrison TU150U with Baldor servo

All info relating to the Denford Cyclone lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Edis
Hardware/Software: Harrison TU150U -96

Harrison TU150U with Baldor servo

Post by Edis » Fri 19 Aug , 2016 8:59 am

Hello all gurus :-)

I´m from Sweden and machines are one of my growing hobbies, and could not resist buying a Harrison TU150U -95 recently. The owner couldn´t start the machine and after reading here I understood it could be as simple as the diskette-settings in BIOS. So I bought it unseen. The machine has not run many hours at all, so the hardware looks really nice.

Started well, the seller said he was no good at computers so he did give up after testing some diskettes. He didn´t now what BIOS was, but I entered it and it stood at 5.25", changed settings as on the picture. I got some diskettes, but some of them are not readable, and some new ones, but probably for a Fanuc-version saved from this forum. So I´m stuck at this position.

Looked pretty clean at the back!

Note the small automatic fuse with the red button at the bottom of the picture. It´s in wrong position at the picture.

I resetted the red fuse and suddenly the rest of the equipment in the cabinet started up, felt really promising at this moment.

But then it happened... Something popped and I let the smoke out...

After quickly pulling the cord, I started to unscrew the little panels and tried to locate the "leak" ...

Found that the servo motor that drives the shaft to the tool up and down was REALLY hot and it was probably the one that was fried.

I have done some more troubleshooting and I am trying to familiarize myself with the little machine. It can not have been much use, the tool changer looks really good and now that I removed the servo motor so it was easy to spin up and down the exchanger, so the ball screw and piece work fine. The servomotor however smell so bad and shaft is locked, do not spin on it at all.

I think I have found a little logical explanation too, but can not prove it 100% yet. When I tested the machine I put the tools in the end positions as it passed the switches. A little later I switched on the machine. Did not manage to not get the machine to start in the same way as when it burned up, so I began to suspect that it was not just servo motor that died...

But... As I thought that I put the machine in the home or limit position (Not easy to know how it should react at a normal startup). Tested to move a shaft so that it went past the switch again and then it started like the other night. So my theory, though undetermined, is that although it has no operational PC it want to got to home position and starts with the tool changer, but tool changer axle was locked (rust?), it didn´t move, so ended up it burned up properly instead.

Another scenario could be that the servo driver is crazy, and then the question is ... Do I dare to test the functioning of the servo motor to the driver? Prefer to measure it, if possible.

No one who has a Baldor brushless servomotor lying? It should be a
BSM80B-175AA
B045 / 0425
S2P02W14G2
1.63Nm
4000rpm
300V
8.75A peak
Found some on Ebay, but pretty expensive.

To summarize this I have some questions:
1. Does anyone have software to this machine, this is not the Fanuc-version and has no HD.
2. Should I have a drive so I can install DOS, or does it only run the complete system directly from one diskette?
3. Is there any easy way to determine if the servodrive is OK, without testing with the other servo motor?
4. Does the machine initiate axles, even without PC-system running? If not, does anyone have a idea why this motor did burn?
5. Any other good info? I have tried to read all threads in this forum, but maybe I have missed something.

I hope my "Swenglish" is good enough so you understand this :D

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Harrison TU150U with Baldor servo

Post by Martin » Fri 19 Aug , 2016 10:08 am

You need to make a 3 1/2" floppy in to a system boot disc then copy the relevant files on to it. (Drivers2 & TU150) form http://website.denford.ltd.uk/support/9 ... os-softwar

In order to create a Boot disc

You need to use a computer running Windows 98 or a older version.
With the disc in the drive right click on it in "My Compurt" & then go to "Format".
Then there is option for to "copy systems files only" or similar. If you tick this you can then create a boot disc. You may then need to create a "Autoexec.bat" file on the disc with the line "TU150U" on the first line.

Edis

Post by Edis » Fri 19 Aug , 2016 10:44 am

OK, thanks for the answer!

I got one bootdisk that works, but the only files on it installs drivers for monitor and keyboard and stuff like that. I tested to run some of the disks with different TU150-files, but these won´t start.

But I don´t have to install DOS or something like that? Only a bootdisk with added TU150U-files? And my version always reads the disk at startup? So it has no memory on the PC-board?

I will do my own boot-disks from the ones you linked.

Edis

Post by Edis » Fri 19 Aug , 2016 23:28 pm

I had no more luck tonight, I used the boot disks I had, here is some pictures:
Here is the toolchanger, it has not been used a lot

With one of the boot-disks

When I try to run TU150, this happens

I just tried this, and got this answer.

Also tried another Boot-disk, but as it has no disk-drives this happens

A picture on the computer card

I read somewhere in this forum, that this is OK

My serial number

I got "some" of these, will probably not need all of them :lol:

Any suggestions?

Edis

Post by Edis » Sat 20 Aug , 2016 10:26 am

Here is the PC card:

I will replace this battery, probably with another solution so it will be easy to change battery next time

This is from the manual:
Based on the filename, I guess there is another version of software for these lathes other than the TU150 and TU150E I can download at Denford, is there anyone that has files named TU150U?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sat 20 Aug , 2016 21:36 pm

It was unusual to fit a hard disc drive.

I do remember being told to copy the content of the Drivers directory on to the floppy then Drivers2 then the TU150 software.

Edis

Post by Edis » Sat 20 Aug , 2016 21:52 pm

I dont have a hard drive, I think the text is based if you are editing files or compiling from a computer. The thing I wonder about, is that it looks like there is files named TU150U, maybe different from the ones on Denfords site.

OK, so I should have the files from Drivers folder too? Do you know if the files should be in folders, or directly in the root?

I have ordered new batterys, for both the PC card and the Motion controller card, and some new diskettes too.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 22 Aug , 2016 9:02 am

The files should be in the root directory.

Edis

Post by Edis » Mon 22 Aug , 2016 19:48 pm

Thanks! :D

I found one of my old laptops, hade one with XP and diskdrive, so I created a startdiskette and put files from your Drivers2-folder and also TU150-files in the root of the diskette.

And boy, this was a nice view!

But my machine has no airsupply, so I believe this is not the correct version of files. I guess the TU150E will not work either, so some disk från a TU150U would be really nice! You can see on the first picture, that it says Fanuc drives. As I have Baldor servos, it´s probably some other drivers I need.

I tested to press start spindle, but nothing happened, but I´m happy so far, so I will try to find a servomotor. :D

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 22 Aug , 2016 22:24 pm

It looks like you are there with it.
If you open the TU150.opt file in notepad or word you should see a line something like NOAIR 0 or NOAIR 1. I think it should be NOAIR 0 but it may be the other way round.

Then just do what it says on the screen. Press the X button & then the Z button to datum it. If it homes you can then press the jog button & test the machine manually.

Edis

Post by Edis » Mon 22 Aug , 2016 23:01 pm

OK, thanks! :D

I just have to buy a servomotor first before it´s possible to home it.

Edis

Post by Edis » Tue 23 Aug , 2016 17:02 pm

NOAIR 1 did the trick :D
Thanks!

I was able to start the spindle today and ran it at 100rpm both CW and CCW. It didn´t start yesterday because I had the door open :lol:
I was so happy to be able to got the system running yesterday so I didn´t reflect over that until I went to bed...
I also got the Z-axle to do some movement, but as the X-axle is not there, it can not complete the Zero-sequence.

There is one thing left, it would be nice to be able to make sure the servo driver is OK. If I manage to buy a new servomotor, I would not be happy if it did burn directly because of a bad driver...

I measured the AC Voltage on the output ports, and for the Z-axle it was about 135V AC to Ground on all three phases, but on the other one it´s 40 on two, and 135 on one phase. If it´s becuase nothing is connected or not would be nice to verify.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 23 Aug , 2016 18:36 pm

Not sure on that. The best way would be to swap the drives over.

Edis

Post by Edis » Wed 24 Aug , 2016 19:58 pm

I took the running servo motor and connected it on the "burning position" and started the system without putting AC-power to the drivers, and the light was still red on the servodrive. It should turn green...

This is the drivers, and it´s the on at the left that is bad.

Product label

I removed it and opened it and found a couple of burned components. This could explain why I had 135V at 1 channel and 40 on the other 2.

I will try to find these components, and try to change them, but it´s probably even more stuff that is damaged...

Servo drivers and motors are really expensive... :cry:

Edis

Post by Edis » Thu 04 May , 2017 21:20 pm

Hello again!

I bought a used servomotor from Germany and today I got a kit with some drivers and smaller servomotors from Angel-Tech here on this forum!

I changed the motor a couple of weeks ago, and with my old "communication-card" in the drivers I got today, it looks like this! Really nice to see!

Online!

Pressing Home and after this X+ as written in the manual

It´s moving!

BUT... Failure... This screen occurs

And if I´m clicking cancel and some other buttons... It hangs.

I will measure pulses from the encoder, and need to find of these point
- Is the pulses from the servo motor OK
- Was it another pin-config on my "new" (used) servomotor
- Is the program really OK, in the manual as seen on pictures above, maybe there is a TU150U-version out there.
- Does the limit-switch signals reach the I/O OK.

Some steps in the correct directions today, but´m not really happy. To be continued...

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Thu 04 May , 2017 22:31 pm

Hi, If you don't want all the overlays for the keyboard I would be really interested in one. I using one from a mill and the key layout is different.

Let me know, thanks

Pete

Edis

Post by Edis » Thu 04 May , 2017 22:54 pm

I will not use them all, so that is possible, will send you a PM. :D

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Fri 05 May , 2017 22:48 pm

Responded thanks.

Pete

Edis

Post by Edis » Sat 06 May , 2017 22:21 pm

Actually, today I managed to get pretty far in my plan to get this machine to work again!

But it´s a problem with PID-parameters or something like that. When using 1mm step, it goes bananas.

Made a quick little video, showing the crazy movement:
https://youtu.be/s6tg8l-t9SE

Some things to find out:
- If I choose 1mm and moves the Z-axle one step, it moves 1mm. But if I press 1mm on the X-axle it moves 2mm on the screen, should it be like that? Is it using some kind of diameter setting?
- I have not measured the movements physically, will do that tomorrow.
- Maybe I need to tweak the parameters

But it feels like a small victory to come as far as I have done :D

Edis

Post by Edis » Sun 07 May , 2017 13:04 pm

I think I got it to work decent now!! :D

To get rid of the bananas-movement, I changed
SLAVE_GAIN_X 1
to
SLAVE_GAIN_X 0.5

and when I measured the movement, 1mm became about 1.23mm IRL, so I tested to change:
SLAVE_MMCONVERT 500
to:
SLAVE_MMCONVERT 410
and got a decent result!!

Wihooooo!

Just to learn how to program the machine now :D