24volt replacement for Cyclone

All info relating to the Denford Cyclone lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

youngguns3
Hardware/Software: 1988 Cyclone with Fanuc OT-B

24volt replacement for Cyclone

Post by youngguns3 » Tue 21 Sep , 2010 2:07 am

I am looking to replace a 110ac to 24dc control on a cyclone with Fanuc OT-B control. What is the best replacement?
Attachments
P9200179.JPG
P9200179.JPG (283.84 KiB) Viewed 3544 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: 24volt replacement for Cyclone

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 21 Sep , 2010 13:59 pm

you can get them anywhere...probably cheaper on ebay than say RS, just search for 24v psu
Most have 110 / 240 input selectors
You need to check what the output current is on the existing PSU - I'm not sure if this was used to power the control as well, but I guess its around 2 to 5 amps
Personally, I'd try find one like the one you have - there is an RS part number on it by the looks of it.

youngguns3
Hardware/Software: 1988 Cyclone with Fanuc OT-B

Post by youngguns3 » Tue 21 Sep , 2010 17:36 pm

Hi,

Thank you again for the response. I kept looking and checking, and it looks like the transformer seems to be working OK. However, when I check power from the rectifier, I am getting 3.6 VDC when the wires are connected to the Cyclone, but then get 24 VDC when I disconnect the wires to the Cyclone and there is no load. Does this mean I have a bad rectifier, or the rectifier just can't handle the workload?

I have been looking at automation direct, and found a Rhino PS24-050D power supply. Is this a good choice? http://www.automationdirect.com/static/ ... pplies.pdf

Take care,
Bill Gillen

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 22 Sep , 2010 9:12 am

I'd say the PSU is working ok and that there is too much load on it - did this pSU used to work?
If so, then there's more probably faulty wiring on the machine somewhere - try to eliminate all 24V circuits...ie, disconnect the wiring to the machine and see if 24V pulls back up...