Question about wiring my Cyclone with Fanuc OT-B controls

All info relating to the Denford Cyclone lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

youngguns3
Hardware/Software: 1988 Cyclone with Fanuc OT-B

Question about wiring my Cyclone with Fanuc OT-B controls

Post by youngguns3 » Tue 17 Aug , 2010 17:59 pm

Hi all,

First post here. I recently bought a used 1988 model Denford Cyclone with Fanuc OT-B controls, and have a question about connecting it to my plant. It was apparently run on 440V 3-phase, judging by the connections at the transformer in the transformer box.

The tag on the transformer box and the machine says 380V.

My plant is 220V 3-phase. The transformer box looks like it currently is set up to drop from 440V to 220V in the transfer box. Can I simply hook each of my incoming 220 legs to the matching outgoing 220 leg on the bus strip on top of the three transformers, effectively bypassing the transformers?

Does anyone have an electrical schematic for this machine?

Also, it has set for around five years, and all the parameters are gone. I would be willing to pay for a disk that has all the parameters for this machine.

Any help on locating any manuals or documentation for this machine would be very appreciated. I am not a professional machinist, but have enjoyed setting up and then running a 1984 Bridgeport CNC mill with the original controls, along with a Do-All mill using Centroid controls. If possible, I think I would like to use the Fanuc controls on this machine, as the circuit boards and wiring appear to be in good condition. The machine does not have many hours on it, as it was originally bought for a technical school.

Also, what is the best way to contact anyone at Denford for purchasing parts / manuals / etc. for my Denford Cyclone?

Thank you,
Bill Gillen

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Question about wiring my Cyclone with Fanuc OT-B controls

Post by Martin » Tue 17 Aug , 2010 18:09 pm

Hi Will,

We should have a record at Denfords for the Parameters & Diagnostics.
If you can provide the machine serial number & year of manufacture we can add them to this post.
It may make it easier if you know where it came from.

I will try to dig out the Electrical scematics to check the voltages.

youngguns3

Post by youngguns3 » Wed 18 Aug , 2010 17:53 pm

Thank you Martin for the quick response,

I checked the machine, and here are all the numbers I could find:

Model: Cyclone / CNC
Serial No.: E03446
Despatch Date: July / 1988
Export No.: E03446
Voltage: 380V
F.L.C.: 21A, 50Hz, 3Ph
Control Voltage: 24V
Light Voltage: 110V
Main Motor: 2.0Hp, 1.5Kw, 3Ph
Serial No. of Electrics (If used): 8021372
Fanuc OT-Model B Type: A02B-0091-B501
No: 8021372 1988-02

Also, it originally came from a Technical / Vocational school in Mississippi. Please ask me if you need any more information, and I will gladly get it for you.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks,
Bill Gillen

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 19 Aug , 2010 10:11 am

Hi Bill,

I have added the standard Cyclone parameters to the forum. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2977

I have attached the original Fanuc 900 parameter list for youre machine & a list for the 450 diagnostics that you will need to set. (There is no info for the 450's so you will need to set them up manually.
Attachments
OT_A_B_C_Diags.doc
(25 KiB) Downloaded 12202 times
Fanuc OT Model B serial number 8021372.pdf
(213.37 KiB) Downloaded 688 times

youngguns3

Post by youngguns3 » Mon 23 Aug , 2010 18:06 pm

Hi Martin,

Thank you so much for the zip files. I opened them and looked through the manuals and schematics, and now have a LOT of bedtime reading material for the next few months.

Been on the road the past few days racing, so I will have more time this week to go over them, and plan to begin wiring it up next weekend. An electrician friend of mine is coming over this weekend (his daughter drives my Outlaw Jr. Dragster) to help with the wiring. If you find anything else that may pertain to this, please forward it to me. I really appreciate what you have already done.

Thank you,
Bill Gillen