Drilling holes

All info relating to the Denford Compact 1000 and Compact 1000 Pro small routing machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

jdallimore

Drilling holes

Post by jdallimore » Wed 01 Aug , 2018 11:23 am

Hello,

On the Denford compact 1000 pro, is it possible to change the router head for a drill bit to drill holes - for example, I am currently doing a set of wooden backers for some brass plaques which have 4 screws at the corners - is it possible to drill the pilot holes for these whilst routing out the wooden backers?

thanks
Jon

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Drilling holes

Post by Steve » Fri 17 Aug , 2018 12:49 pm

We can offer quick change tool holders for the routers which would let you change to a different tool in the program. You should be able to peck drill holes as part of the program.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Drilling holes

Post by TDIPower » Fri 17 Aug , 2018 20:53 pm

If you only have the 1/4 collet you can get 1/4 to 1/8th inserts you could then use the 1/8th shanked drills of various drilling dia. You can get them with collars so they always fit in the collet to same depth for tool changes (set your offsets in tooling library).

I frequently 'drill' with single sided router bits for less than 1/4 or 2sided for 1/4 for above, the problem with 'plunging' router bits is they don't always have a cutting edge to the centre on the bottom face. Peck drilling is the best way