Computer upgrade issues & error

All info relating to the Denford Compact 1000 and Compact 1000 Pro small routing machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

charcoal

Computer upgrade issues & error

Post by charcoal » Wed 20 Oct , 2010 9:26 am

Hi Guys,

Ian from Menai H.S. - Sydney Australia.

We've recently suffered a global upgrade of the file server at school and are now running under Windows XP Service Pack 3. This is causing hiccups with running QuickCAM 2D (Version 1.8.5.344) and QuickCAM 3D V3 (Version 3.5.0.61), actually they won't run at all. The programs are running an error message code of either 5226 or 5220, if that means anything to you. (And apologies about not knowing which code it is, as I am typing this in at home and I'm trying to decipher our IT guy's crappy hand writing. Didn't think anyone could be worse than me.)

I know you guys are going to tell me to upgrade to the latest version and that should solve our problems. However, in the not so distance future, either late this term or early next year our old computers (6+ years) will be replaced. Yes, lucky us. But this will more than likely mean a change in OS to Windows 7! The question is, do the latest version run under Windows 7 or am I looking at yet another upgrade sometime in the not so distance future?

Please advise.

Ian

PS. Since the issue with the intermittent fault in the CNC milling machine last year, it has been running fine. Thanks again with all the help with that.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Computer upgrade issues & error

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 20 Oct , 2010 11:34 am

I would definitely download the latest V5 milling, uninstall and re-install on those XP machines.
http://www.website.denford.ltd.uk/suppo ... -downloads

There are no problems on XP or Windows 7 with the latest version of VR Milling 5
The problem may have been that MintControls5224.ocx was not registered - this should be fixed by uninstall and reinstall.

charcoal

Post by charcoal » Wed 20 Oct , 2010 22:15 pm

Will give that a try and let you know how we get on. May be several days before I can get back to you.

regards
Ian

charcoal

Post by charcoal » Wed 27 Oct , 2010 2:43 am

Hi guys, just an update on our server upgrade and issues with QuickCAM. Nothing resolved as yet, this is due to a variety of reasons, not the least of which is having the IT boys being called off by the boss to do more "important" jobs. However, will keep prodding them and see what happens.

On an other issue with QuickCAM 2D, we have a stand alone computer connected to the CNC mill and (aside from VR Milling) have QuickCAM 2D installed on this machine. (Because of it being a 'stand alone' it's not affected by our server upgrade.) Have been doing some milling of perspex (acrylic) sheet and we wanted to cut out the school's logo. We can import a jpeg of the logo into QuickCAM 2D without any problems and perform all the resizing etc. However, when we proceed to the CAM wizard and get to the Machining Plans window, the jpeg image disappears! Any drawing or text inserted at the design page remains visible, but no graphics. Currently using version 1.12.5.385 of QuickCAM 2D. Suggestions please.

regards
Ian

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 27 Oct , 2010 8:42 am

See this topic about image contouring:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1062&hilit=contouring

You need to convert the image to vectors