NextStep powering up problems

All info relating to the Denford Compact 1000 and Compact 1000 Pro small routing machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

prchalc

NextStep powering up problems

Post by prchalc » Wed 22 Sep , 2010 17:34 pm

Andy - I have been working with Steve on this one - but have lost communication over the past two days. He must be on holiday.

Situation - Machine - Microrouter Compact - 5 years old

When NextStep is powering up - I have a middle dash in the LED light in the upper left hand corner. I understand that that indicates the power up test failed to find any valid firmware in the flash device.

I've checked all the fuses on the circuit boards and switched out the cable with one I have on my other machine (1000).

More ... when I hit the estop the relay is not kicking in!

Also - when powering up we are not getting through to the guard mechanism to auto unlock. We've taken out the estop and blown it out and it appears to be mechanically functioning ok - what I mean is there are no broken parts and the switch isn't mushy.

The NextStep USB is loaded and running.

I'll send a couple of pics - one will show the z axis motor control switch on the blank panel - that is where my problems first started - I was getting the z axis traveling down toward the table when autohoming and bottoming out at the end of travel and bouncing hard up and down. I responded to this problem by looking at, then cleaning the limit switch. That's when my other problems began to emerge.

Could I be seeing the circuit board with the motor controls and relay on it, going out???
Attachments
circuit board pic.JPG
circuit board pic.JPG (195.99 KiB) Viewed 9473 times

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: NextStep powering up problems

Post by Martin » Wed 22 Sep , 2010 19:24 pm

Have you tried EasyUpgrader to check the card?

Failing that try connecting with Workbench.

Both are on the VRMilling CD.

prchalc

Post by prchalc » Thu 23 Sep , 2010 17:19 pm

When installing Easy Upgrader, we get an error message that says 'the machine cannot be found'

When we run Work Bench - we get a similar message that says no comms can be found?

Is this a circuit board issue? Remember the machine is power up Next Step and it cannot find a valid firmware in the flash device???

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 23 Sep , 2010 21:25 pm

It would sugest that the NextStep top card is faulty.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 24 Sep , 2010 9:19 am

Does the machine appear under USB devices in Device Manager ?
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=611&hilit=device+manager

It looks as though the machine has RS232 and USB connections - which one are you using ?
If it's USB, try connecting directly to the NextMove ST from the PC