Z-Axis Offset Problem

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Jimmy

Z-Axis Offset Problem

Post by Jimmy » Wed 24 Jan , 2007 22:44 pm

Hello,
Since I upgraded to VR Milling version 5 I have had a problem setting the Z-Axis offset. If I do not set the Z-offset less than about 12mm below the bottom of the tool a Z-Axis error message comes up when I press exlamation mark in the program, this means that I can no longer machine as thick materials as I used to with the older software. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jimmy

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 25 Jan , 2007 10:21 am

What machine are you using?

There are software limits that set the length of travel in each axis. It could be that you need to change these.

Are you saying you have to stick the tool out of the spindle further to avoid the error?

If it is a micro Mill I think there is a thread on this somewhere.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sun 28 Jan , 2007 20:49 pm

I am using a micro router pro. I have to jog the tool about 12mm below the Z0 for it not to give an error message

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 29 Jan , 2007 0:48 am

Just a thought - are you using the tool Z offset as well as the workpiece (XYZ) offsets ? - You may have set this by accident

The info button has two modes of displaying the toolpath- one that takes the tool Z offset into account, and another that doesn't.
Change the display mode by pressing the relevant button inside the info window.

Whenever there is confusion about software limits, it always makes sense to home the axis(es), then just jog it as far as it will go - if it stops before where you want it to, then no matter what you do with the offsets, it will never get there - if it is physically possible to get a bit more travel, then you would be able to adjust the software limits parameters (although, this shouldn't be necessary)