Import Gerber File

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

suen

Import Gerber File

Post by suen » Tue 09 Mar , 2010 11:45 am

I am trying to follow the PCB Routing Tutorial.

In the tutorial, when a gerber file is imported into VR Milling v5, the board and PCB artwork appear at the same location with the origin drawn in the bottom left corner. However, when I import the astable circuit gerber file (as suggested in the tutorial) the PCB artwork is below the board with the origin drawn at the bottom left corner of the board. When I press Auto Size the board shifts and more than covers the artwork. However, the origin does not shift and the board is now twice the size of the artwork.

How do I get the board and PCB artwork to appear at the same location with the origin drawn in the bottom left corner?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Import Gerber File

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 10 Mar , 2010 10:56 am

Hi - I'm not really sure what you mean - can you post a picture ?
I think the tutorial talks about loading the artwork in, purely in order to autosize the board (eg to 61mmx61mm)
You really only need to load in the track layer gerber file - it's origin is defined in the circuit design software - the VR milling import wizard just lets you alter the width and height of the board with respect to this origin and is only important if you wish to mirror the tracks because the design software has output the tracks from the component side.
I suspect your design needs altering to output the origin in the correct place.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Wed 10 Mar , 2010 15:06 pm

Hi,

What package are you designing the PCB in?

In all PCB packages there is a drawing origin. The gerber file is positiond in relation to the origin in the design file.

When you create you PCB position it so the botom left corner is near to the drawing origin and then it will export as you want.

As you move the cursor around you will see the Coordinates change. This wil let you identify the origin.

suen

Post by suen » Thu 11 Mar , 2010 12:54 pm

I attach two pictures. Screen1 shows the astable circuit gerber file when it is first imported. Screen2 shows what the screen looks like after pressing Auto Size and selecting Solder Side.

I am using Circuit Wizard to produce the PCB.

From the two replies that I have had, it sounds like I need to alter the origin of the PCB in Circuit Wizard before exporting to gerber. I don't know how to do this as I have not created a PCB from scratch in this package but am just exporting an example circuit.
Attachments
screen2.jpg
screen2.jpg (64.54 KiB) Viewed 5128 times
screen1.jpg
screen1.jpg (61.6 KiB) Viewed 5128 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 11 Mar , 2010 13:06 pm

it sounds like I need to alter the origin of the PCB in Circuit Wizard before exporting to gerber
That's definitely what you need to do...unfortunately none of us have Circuit Wizard, so I'd ask New Wave Concepts: http://www.new-wave-concepts.com
In the meantime, have a good look through the menus when on the Gerber/CNC export screen

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 11 Mar , 2010 13:21 pm

Hi,

The problem is your PCB is not positioned correctly in relation to the drawing origin.

I have PCB Wizard which is an older version and the Astable exports OK without having to relocate.

Within the PCB software i would first of all copy and rename the example so you dont lose it for good.

Then open the new file. You will have to then unprotect the file. (I think this is shown in the tutorial).

Once unprotected you can edit and move the design. Go to the view menu and show grid in the artwork view and you should then be able to drag the design to the correct position. You may want to delete the circuit diagram and text from the page and just leave the tracks.

If you need more help you are better contacting the suplier of the PCB software.