Microrouter Compact Homing Problems

Submit any comments, issues or requests relating to the use of VR Milling Version 5 and 2

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

arossner

Microrouter Compact Homing Problems

Post by arossner » Wed 14 Nov , 2007 21:02 pm

I'm having trouble with my microrouter compact. The z axis is responding irradically. when I choose to home the z axis it will move down instead of up. I've been able to bypass the safety and when I home the z axis and it moves downward I can pull on the head in the upward direction and it begins to move up until the home switch activates. Then it works correctly for 2 or 3 home tries and it begins to move downward again?

Any ideas?

It seems like the z-axis is moving irradically. if you want to see a video email me at albert.rossner@jcisd.org

:?

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Thu 15 Nov , 2007 9:51 am

If the Z axis moves down slowly when being "HOMED" the it could be a faulty or clogged with dust Z axis datum switch. The switch is wired Normally Closed, with Ov going through it. This 0v is monitored by software on an input. When homing correctly, when the datum switch is tripped the 0v signal disappears from the input and the software turns the motor in reverse direction, until the datum switch returns to its normal state and the 0v is restored to the input, and hence the axis is HOMED.

Try a an electrical meter on the datum switch and and see if it changes state when pressed, try clean any dirt from under the datum switch activation lever.

Also, sometimes you can get a broken motor wire with the wires been moved when the axis moves. You could check the continuity of thes wires with an electrical meter. Note the Z axis motor wires are connected to the bottom right hand side orange plug on the control board with the 7 segment display in the rear of the Compact

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 15 Nov , 2007 11:49 am

I think it sounds more like a problem with stepper motor / stepper wiring / stepper drives.
If the axis will move in the correct direction when "helped", then it suggests a phase problem with the motor.

Check out the wiring, swap the wiring from a good motor to the suspect one and work out where the problem is (either the drive / wiring or the motor)