Denford Viceroy TDS VSD conversion

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Re: Denford Viceroy TDS VSD conversion

Post by dazz » Mon 18 May , 2020 9:24 am

Hi
Five years after a post that said I had been working on my next VFD conversion, a Brazilian made Nardini lathe, here is the result.
It isn't a Viceroy lathe but I used the Viceroy to make parts for the conversion. This included pulleys for the poly-vee belt conversion.

I replaced the entire electrical system, motor, coolant pump and switches to install the VFD. The only electrical part not replaced was the fwd/stop/rev switch on the tailstock end of the lathe. I tried to make the whole thing look like it was factory original. The lathe was probably built in the late 1970's, so the VFD couldn't be factory.

All of the incandescent lamps are replaced with similar looking LED versions. The switch positions are adapted to control the VFD, so no empty holes. As with the Viceroy conversion, the added control panel is the only dead giveaway that it isn't original. I couldn't decide where it should be located, so it is mounted on a highly adjustable articulated arm. It is high enough to clear tools placed on top of the headstock. The control panel adds a LED bar power meter and an e-stop switch to the controls installed on the Viceroy. The artwork is designed to match the style of the original factory labels.

The control system is wired to allow for a CNC retrofit in the future, if I ever get around to it. The completion of the Nardini conversion is likely to trigger sale of the Viceroy. I don't really need two lathes.

Dazz
Attachments
IMG_0052.JPG
The new poly vee belt drive system, made to look factory. Painted to match the original back gears.
IMG_0052.JPG (262.15 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
IMG_0030.JPG
LED conversion of main control panel
IMG_0030.JPG (333.93 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
IMG_0057.JPG
Added control panel with jog, rpm control, rpm display, power display and e-stop,
IMG_0057.JPG (214.06 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
IMG_0056.JPG
3.8 kW VFD with protection and control system.
IMG_0056.JPG (329.49 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
Regards

Dazz