My Pre TDS1 ?? starting my overhaul

Read what other Denford users are doing with their machines and software.
Educational resources, ideas and courseware.
If you have a Denford related success story, please tell us about it here.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

MFaulks

My Pre TDS1 ?? starting my overhaul

Post by MFaulks » Mon 28 Jul , 2008 22:23 pm

Hi all,

This site has really been an inspiration in many ways. I closely read all the TDS1 threads and Dazz’s material is really exemplary from my view, sets an incredible standard for me to try and achieve...

I bought my lathe in 2007 from a machinery dealer, and prior to this I had very little experience with these machines, either in operation or actually turning etc. But having decided I need to start doing my own work (hobby is engine tuning), read up on several types of machine of this size, I decided to set about finding a Viceroy TDS1 series machine. Having little experience at the time I took the best machine I could find at the time, I had a hot project I wanted to get on with, and so made my purchase. I really learnt what to look for having purchased this machine, but certainly don't regret it and has been a journey of discovery, some frustration but also fun. This is an early photo, when I first started to clean it up, having already cluttered it :)

Having looked at all the TDS1 literature and drawings, none to my knowledge show this 4 piece construction - head stock detaches, and separates from the headstock base, bed is separate, and the tail stock end is also supported by a bolted base.

Much of Dazz online “machine rebuild course” material has been a great help in making small improvements here and there, understanding what I need to check, and also setting up the bed straight. Interestingly the tail stock bed fixings had little effect, and after much trialling and near despair I found a method of tensioning the bed and I guess all the bolted joints and interface dovetails that did the trick. I had to trim 30 odd thou in 6 inches, and actually thought this would be difficult… I think I will need to check it frequently, as I guess it will settle over time, summer / winter changes as well, but the work I have turned has been good so I have not gone back and rechecked to fine degree for a while.

I will dig out the serial number and post up, but think it is something like 1043 ish, so I assume that is machine 43? It would be really nice to know.

Thanks for an excellent site.
Martin
Attachments
DSCN0923.JPG
DSCN0923.JPG (131.44 KiB) Viewed 9439 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 29 Jul , 2008 13:10 pm

Thanks for your feedback - its not easy for us to "see" who is using the forum and how useful (or not) they find it

Keep us posted :D

By the way - I'll move this into User Stories / Projects